India is known globally for her rich heritage of Arts & Crafts.The handicrafts sector poses a great role in the country's economy in terms of employment generation and earnings of foreign exchange through exports.Many agricultural and pastoral communities depend on their traditional craft skills .
Craftspeople form the second largest employment sector in India, second only to agriculture. The handicrafts sector is a home-based industry which requires minimum of expenditure, infrastructure or training to set up. It uses existing skills and locally available materials. Inputs required can easily be provided and these are more in terms of product adaptation than expensive investment in energy, machinery or technology.
Top 10 colleges of art and craft courses in india-
1. Periyar University, Salem, Tamil Nadu
2. Desh Bhagat Institute of Art and Craft, Mandi Gobindgarh, Punjab
3. Savitri Polytechnic For Women, New Delhi
4. Government College of Arts and Crafts, Chennai ,Tamil Nadu
5. Government College of Arts and Crafts, Agartala ,Tripura
6. Government College of Arts and Crafts, Kolkata, West Bengal
7. Ipcowala Santram College of Fine Arts , Vidyanagar, Gujarat
9. Andhra University, Visakhapatnam , Andhra Pradesh
The pay scale of the frshers for this course is quite good. As experience grows the remuneration also increases.
As this sector is growing with the population so there are job opportunities for the freshers. The future prospect for this course is bright. The bachelor degree in this course can help cadidates to join as arts and crafts teachers in many institutes.
The eligibility criteria for pursuing this course is that one should pass higher secondary examination (10+2) from any recognised board. They can join the bachelor degree in arts and crafts course or diploma course .