16 JULY 2017 Current Affairs from The Hindu
Kunal Sir, Published On:16-Jul-2017
CURRENT AFFAIRS: 16.07.2017
· Maryam Mirzakhani was an Iranian-born mathematician.
· She was the first woman to win the coveted Fields Medal,the topmost international prize in mathematics, often described as the Mathematics Nobel Prize in 2014 which is awarded by the International Congress of Mathematicians.
· She proved many theorems about shortest path for curves surfaces – called ‘geodesics’.
· She also won the 2009 Blumenthal Award for the Advancement of Research in Pure Mathematics and Satter Prize of the American Mathematical Society.
· She was a professor of mathematics at Stanford University in the United States.
· Her research topics include Teichmüller theory, hyperbolic geometry, ergodic theory, and symplectic geometry.
· She obtained her BSc in mathematics (1999) from Sharif University of Technology in Tehran. She went to the United States for graduate work, earning a PhD from Harvard University in 2004.
· She died after the cancer she had been battling for four years spread to her bone marrow.
Source: The Hindu
· A new galaxy has been discovered by scientists which is around 10 thousand million light years away.
· This new galaxy is about 1,000 times brighter than the Milky Way.
· This research was published in the Astrophysical Journal Letters.
· To discover this, scientists led by Anastansio Diaz-Sanches from Polytechnic University of Cartagena (UPCT) in Spain used gravitational lensing which acted as a sort of magnifier, changing the size and intensity of the apparent image of the original object.
· For finding this galaxy, a search of the whole sky was carried out, combining the data bases of the satellites WISE and Planck for identifying the brightest sub-millimetre galaxies.
· This galaxy have a very high rate of star formation. It forms the stars at a rate of 1,000 solar masses per year as compared to the Milky Way galaxy which is forming stars at a rate of some twice a solar mass per year.
· The new galaxy is so bright that its light is gravitationally amplified.
Everything need to know about Galaxy (very much in news nowadays)
Source: The Hindu
· A GST training programme to skill around two lakh youths in six months to handle tax compliance issues like in-voice making have been launched by Government of India.
· The new training course will cater to the need of GST trained professionals to help businesses in areas such as registration and calculation of tax regime.
· This training programme will be implemented in 14 states.
· The people would be trained under the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY).
· The ministry also launched a national portal for assessors and trainers besides 51 new PMKVY centres. With this, the total number of PMKVY centres has increased to 200.
· Currently the country has 15,000 km of gas pipeline and additional 15,000 km will be added and for that "we need skilled people,"
· During the event, an MoU was inked between the skill development ministry and the water resources ministry.
· The MoU intends to develop skilled manpower for laying sewerage pipeline, construction of toilets, waste collection and its disposal activities.
· The MoU would also help in developing skills for preparing products from pious waste materials like flowers, coconuts and hair.
Source: The Indian Express
· Garbine Muguruza defeated five-time champion Venus Williams by 7-5, 6-0.
· She is 23 years old. She is 14 years younger than Venus Williams.
· This was the largest age gap between the two finalists – Muguruza (23) and Venus (37) since 1994, when 22-year-old Conchita Martinez defeated 37-year-old Martina Navratilova for the Wimbledon title.
· She lost to Venus William’s younger sister Serena in 2015 Wimbledon final.
· She is only the second Spanish woman to win Wimbledon after Conchita Martinez in 1994. She is also the first player to beat both Serena and Venus Williams in a Grand Slam final.
Source: The Hindu
· The groundwork for framing a legislation to legalise online sports betting in India has been started by the Sports Ministry.
· Still, it will take around two years for the ministry to prepare a draft.
· The sports Ministry will also take assistance from its counterparts in the UK, where gambling is legal.