Current Affairs of 28 Dec 2017
Keshav Kishore, Published On:28-Dec-2017
1. Indian Science congress 2018 will be in Manipur University
• The 105th Indian Science Congress will be hosted by Manipur University in Imphal in March next year.
• Dr. Achyuta Samanta will be general President of this congress and the theme of this congress will be ‘reaching the unreached through science and technology’.
• In Jan 2017, the conference was held in Tirupati and the theme was ‘Science & Technology for National Development’.
2. Bamboo is not a tree in the new Forest Act
• The Parliament passed Indian Forest (Amendment) Bill in which the bill has excluded bamboo from the definition of tree under the Indian Forest Act.
• The Bill permits felling and transit of bamboo grown in non-forest areas and bamboo grown on forest lands would continue to be classified as a tree.
• Objective of this amendment is to promote the cultivation of bamboo in non-forest areas and would benefit the tribals, forest dweller and farmers as their income would increase.
3. Mission Seven Summits: An audacious attempt of IAF
• In this mission Indian Air Force had an aim to fly the tricolor and the IAF flag on the highest peak in every continent.
• With the successful ascent of Mt. Vinson, the IAF has successfully completed the mission and became the first organization in India to do so.
• This mission was started in 2005 when IAF scaled Mt. Everest.
4. Longest Glass Bridge of World is in China
• This bridge has capacity to hold 2000 people but only 500 would be allowed at a time.
• It is located in Shijiazhuang and lies 218 meters above hanging between two cliffs in Hongyagu Scenic Area in Pingshan county.
• This glass bridge which is now open for the public is 488 meters long and 2 meters broad.
5. India’s upward movement in ‘World Economic League Table’ Report
• This report is released by Centre for Economics and Business Research.
• The report says that India will be fifth largest economy in 2018 and will surpass Britain and France.
• The USA will retain its first position till 2032 and then china will overtake US.