Current Affairs of 1 Jan 2018
Keshav Kishore, Published On:01-Jan-2018
1. ASEAN Leaders to be Chief guest of Republic Day
• On the Republic day the country will host leaders of 10 ASEAN nations.
• In his ‘Mann Ki Baat’ programme the Prime Minister announced this decision.
• As 2017 celebrated the 50 year establishment of ASEAN and the year also marked 25 years of India’s partnership with the group.
• It is a great step to cement the “Act East Policy” of India.
2. Arunachal Pradesh is the new ODF state
• Arunachal Pradesh has been declared Open Defecation Free on 31st December.
• It is the second state in Northeast and sixth state in India which is ODF now.
• The state also launched ‘Swachh Arunachal Mission’ on October 2 this year at Tawang.
• Arunachal has 21 districts and it attained the feat much before the national deadline of Oct 2, 2019.
3. Current Account Deficit (CAD) is troubling now
• CAD may double to 1.5% of GDP by March of this year.
• It is due to the rise in commodity prices especially that of crude oil that has hit a three-year peak last week will double the CAD to $39 billion according to Icra report.
• Merchandise trade deficit is due to high process of commodity imports.
• These trouble can be short out on the expectation of a push towards completion of export orders prior to the quarter end as well as seasonal decline in gold import in December.
4. Rajnikanth’s Party will fight all 234 seats
• Superstar Rajnikanth will enter into politics with his own party.
• On the last day of preceding year he revealed his stand on joining politics.
• His party will fight all the 234 assembly seats of Tamil Nadu Legislative assembly.
• The announcement of the Superstar will bring a new dynamics in the state politics which is very turbulent after the death of J Jayalalitha.
5. China tested its first photovoltaic highway
• This highway is constructed using solar panels which have thin sheet of transparent concrete on top of them.
• The one-kilometer segment of solar powered highway is of surface area 5875 sq m.
• There will be charging points for electric vehicles.
• This highway is in eastern Shandong province.