Current Affairs of 7 Jan 2018
Keshav Kishore, Published On:07-Jan-2018
1. CCEA approved fund for National Waterway-1
• Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the Jal Marg Vikas Project at a cost of Rs 5369 crore.
• The National Waterway-1 is the longest waterway in India which is formed by Ganga-Bhagirathi-Hooghly Rivers.
• NW1 is of 1620km long and is spread in UP, Bihar, Jharkhand, West Bengal from Allahabad to Haldia.
• The other operational Waterways are NW2 (891 km) between Sadiya-Dhubri on Brahmaputra River and NW3 (365 km) between Kollam-Kozikhode on West Coast Canal, Champakara Canal and Udyogmandal Canal.
• There are 111 proposed waterways in India.
• The waterway projects are under Inland Water Authority of India (Ministry of Shipping).