Current Affairs of 12 Feb 2018
Keshav Kishore, Published On:12-Feb-2018
1. Zebra Fish to model the rare genetic disorder
• The researchers of Delhi Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology have used zebra fish model for rare genetic disorder – Rubinstein Taybi Syndrome (RSTS)-seen in humans.
• The syndrome causes intellectual disability, growth retardation, craniofacial deformities, heart defects and broad thumbs and toes.
• Zebra Fish genome has very close similarity to human genome and the embryonic developmental is very similar in the two, so this model is designed.
• A piece of the protein Ep300 is sufficient to reverse the effect of this syndrome and this protein is evolutionary conserved from fish to human.
2. Sharmila Nicollet: First Indian to qualify China’s golf tournament
• Sharmila Nicollet became the Indian golfer to qualify China Ladies PGA Tour.
• The tour is professional golf tour for women organized by the China Ladies Professional Golfers’ Association.
• Ms. Nicollet is also the youngest Indian golfer top qualify for Ladies European Tour and the second Indian to earn a full card on the Ladies European Tour.
3. PM Modi gets Grand Collar of State of Palestine
• Palestine has conferred the ‘Grand Collar of the State of Palestine’ to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
• The Grand collar is the highest order of Palestine to foreign dignitaries which has been awarded to King Salman of Saudi Arabia & President Xi Jinping of China among others.
• Mr. Modi is the first Indian Prime Minister who officially visited to Palestine.
4. Three new eel species in Bay of Bengal
• Three new species are found by scientists of Zoological Survey of India (ZSI).
• The description of three new species- Gymnothorax visakhaenis, Enchelycore propinqua and Gymnothorax pseudotile was published in the journal Zootaxa.
• Gymnothorax pseudolite is a rare species and with this new discovery, the Bay of Bengal coast yielded at least five new species of eel.
5. India-Oman signs eight agreements
• India and Oman has signed eight MoUs in different areas including defense, health and tourism.
• The capital of Oman is Muscat and currency of Oman is Omani Rial.
• Oman is a strategic partner of India in gulf region and both countries are linked geography, history and culture.
Source: The Hindu, The Indian Express