Current Affairs of 14 Feb 2018
Keshav Kishore, Published On:14-Feb-2018
1. Rice Mill converts into MGR memorial
• Bhama Rice Mill of Vadavannur village of Palakkad district is being converted into a memorial for iconic Tamil politician and matinee idol M.G. Ramchandran whose childhood home is located in the same village.
• It will also serve as a ‘village heritage centre’ and showcase the culture and agrarian traditions of Palakkad.
• The memorial is being established by the local chapter of Indian National Trust for Cultural Heritage (INTCH).
• It will also exhibit photographs and films on the life and times of the former Tami Nadu Chief Minister M.G. Ramchandran.
2. Centre Plans to merge PPF act and small saving act
• To remove ambiguities, Central government has planned to Government Savings Certificate Act, 1959 and Public Provident Fund Act, 1968 with the Government Savings Bank Act, 1873.
• All the existing provisions will be retained while consolidating PPF Act under the Government Savings Promotion Act.
•The main objective is to make implementation easier for the depositors as they need not go through different rules and acts.
3. Kambar is the new chief of Sahitya Akademi
• Kannada litterateur Chandrashekar Kambar is the new president of Sahitya Akademi and Hindi poet Madhav Koushik has been elected as vice-president.
• Sahitya Akademi was founded on 12 March, 1954 to promote literature in the languages of India.
• It supports work in 24 languages (22 scheduled languages in 8th schedule + 2 languages English and Rajasthani).
Source: The Hindu, The Indian Express