Current Affairs of 20 Feb 2018
Keshav Kishore, Published On:20-Feb-2018
1. Delhi-Mumbai Industrial corridor attracts four nations
• The USA, Canada, Singapore and Taiwan are interested in the $100 billion investment infrastructure project Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor (DMIC).
• The DMIC is a special purpose company incorporated for the development of the DMIC project which is related to defense as well as Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO).
• This industrial corridors include 24 industrial regions, eight smart cities, two international airports, five power projects and two rapid transit systems.
2. What is SWIFT?
•The full form of SWIFT is Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication.
• It provides a network that enables financial institutions worldwide to send and receive information about financial transactions in a secure, standardized and reliable environment.
• It doesn’t facilitate fund transfer rather it sends payment orders which must be settled by correspondent accounts that the institutions have with each other.
3. A platform to study drug transportation is developed
• Scientists have developed an “organ-on-a-chip” platform to study the drug transportation across the human placenta barrier.
• The new placenta-on-chip is a small block of silicone that houses two micro-fluidic channels separated by a porous membrane.
• By adding different molecules to the blood like fluid flowing through the maternal micro-fluidic channel, there can be measured the rate at which they transfer to the foetal channel and how much they accumulate in the barrier itself.
• The testing is confirmed after the passage of a large molecule through the placenta barrier named as Heparin.
4. World Information Technology Congress 2018 in Hyderabad
• First time India is hosting World information Technology Congress (WITC) in Hyderabad.
• It is a biennial event and considered as the biggest event of its kind which aims to provide single platform to IT experts, policy and decision makers and government officials from all over the world together to discuss various challenges.
• It is hosted by Telangana Government, in association with IT body National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) and global IT organization World Information Technology and Service Alliance (WITSA).
5. Garuda Shakti: Exercise between India and Indonesia
• Garuda Shakti is a military exercise between India and Indonesia.
• It is the 6th edition of Garuda Shakti exercise which is held in the West Java province of Indonesia.
• The drill aims to build experience sharing in counter-terrorism operations, close quarter combat and other special operations.
Source: The Hindu, The Indian Express