Current Affairs of 23 Feb 2018
Keshav Kishore, Published On:23-Feb-2018
1. Y.H. Malegam committee to monitor bad loans
• RBI has constituted an expert committee under the chairmanship of Y.H. Malegam to look into the entire issue relating to classification of bad loans, effectiveness of audits and rising incidents of frauds.
• The committee will look into reasons for high divergence observed in asset classification.
• The committee is set up in wake up of Rs 11,400 crore SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication) and RBI’s drive of strengthening supervisory framework in the country to avoid frauds.
2. SARA S successfully completes second test flight
• Indigenously developed light transport aircraft SARAS PT1N has successfully completed second test flight.
• It is a first Indian multi-purpose civilian aircraft in light transport aircraft category designed by CSIR-National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL).
• The upgraded version of this plan is facilitated with more modern avionics system, improved radar, linear wing flap actuator, engine flap actuators, environment control etc.
3. India’s first all-women non-urban railway station is Gandhinagar
• Gandhinagar Railway Station of Jaipur has become the country’s first major non-suburban railway station to be fully managed by women.
• This is the second railway station of the country after Matunga (Urban) to be fully managed by women.
• It is a great step towards women empowerment.
4. Avani Chaturvedi: India’s 1st women pilot to fly fighter jet
• Avani Chaturvedi, a flying officer, has become the first woman to fly a fighter aircraft solo.
• She flew a MIG-21 bison in her first solo flight from IAF’s Jamnagar base in Gujrat.
• She is one of the first batch female pilots, besides Mohana Singh and Bhavna Kanth , who were inducted in Indian Air Force fighter squadron in 2016.
5. Venezuela became first country to launch cryptocurrency
• Venezuela has become the first country to officially launch its own cryptocurrency called Petro.
• It aims to help Venezuela to advance in issues of monetary sovereignty to make financial transactions and overcome financial blockade.
• Venezuela has largest oil reserves in the world.
Source: The Hindu, The Indian Express