Current Affairs of 8 March 2018
Keshav Kishore, Published On:08-Mar-2018
1. International Women’s Day: 8th March
• Every year International Women’s day is celebrated on March 8 and theme of this year is #PressforProgress.
• The day is especially for celebration of womanhood, their social, political, cultural, economic achievements and their significant contributions to society.
• NITI Aayog has launched Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) to provide a vibrant entrepreneurship ecosystem where women don’t face any gender based barriers.
2. Pritzker Prize for Balkrishna Doshi
• Indian architect “Balkrishna Doshi” became the first Indian to win prestigious Pritzker Prize.
• Pritzker Prize was established by Pritzker family of Chicago in 1979.
• The prize is considered as Nobel Prize of architecture.
• Mr. Doshi is first founder Director of School of Architecture, Ahmadabad and he is also the first founder of Director of School of Planning.
3. India will be a member of EBRD
• India will be 69th member of European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD).
• EBRD was established in 1991 after the fall of Berlin wall.
• The Bank is to promote private and entrepreneurial initiative in Europe.
• Headquarter of this bank is in London.
4. New state of matter is created
• An international team of scientists have created a “giant atom” which is a new state of matter termed as “Rydberg polarons” and is filled with ordinary atoms.
• Atoms in this state are held together by weak force and exist at very low temperature.
• In this state electron of an atom has been kicked out into a very large orbit.
5. IMPRINT-II gets allocation of 1000 cr. by HRD Ministry
• IMPRINT India is a joint programme of Indian institute of technology (IITs) and Indian Institute of Science (IISc) which is to develop road map for research to solve major engineering and technology in ten domains.
• The objective of this initiative to identify areas that require innovations, to support and fund research for identified areas and to measure research impacts on people’s living standard.
• A fund is being created by HRD Ministry and Department of Science and Technology together.
Source: The Hindu, The Indian Express