Current Affairs of 14 March 2018
Keshav Kishore, Published On:14-Mar-2018
1. Newton-Bhabha Fund for arsenic research in ground water
• It is a joint collaboration between Indian and United Kingdom.
• Newton-Bhabha fund aims to have scientific research and innovation for India’s economic development and social welfare.
• Arsenic occurrence in the Ganga river basin is sporadic in nature and the team will study the ground water containing arsenic and will suggest the remedial technologies.
2. Kochon Prize for TB research to ICMR
• Indian Council of Medical Research got Kochan Prize 2017 for excellent work in TB research and development.
• The $65000 Kochan award is given by Stop TB Partnership for significant contribution to combating TB.
• Trails using the two new TB drug Bedaquiline and delamanid contributions for MDR-TB and XDR-TB will reduce the duration of TB treatment from current 24-30 months to 6-9 months.
3. “Relic galaxy” demystification by NASA
• The Hubble telescope of NASA is all set to demystify the ancient relic galaxy which has twice as many stars as Milky Way.
• Red clusters around the galaxy, NGC 1277 confirms the star-making business and dearth of blue clusters says that it never grew further by gobbling up surrounding galaxies.
• The galaxy is moving at the speed of two million miles per hour and can’t merge with other galaxies to collect stars.
4. World Ocean Summit concluded in Mexico this year
• The fifth session of World Ocean Summit held at Riviera Maya, Mexico.
• It is an initiative to think about the troubles faced by sea and ocean by assembling business man, government and environment leaders.
• The vision of this summit is sustainable use of the ocean and then vital economy using robust health of economy.
5. Mahanadi Tribunal for Water sharing between two states
• Mahanadi Water Dispute Terminal is constituted by the Union Government for solving water sharing disputes between Odisha and Chhattisgarh.
• The tribunal has three members including the chairman Justice A.M.Khanwilkar, who is a judge of Supreme Court.
• The tribunal is formed under section 4 of Inter-State River Water Dispute Act, 1956.
Source: The Hindu, The Indian Express