Current Affairs of 16 April 2018
Keshav Kishore, Published On:16-Apr-2018
1. India in Commonwealth Game 2018
• India became third (66) in medal winning at Gold Coast commonwealth games behind Australia (198) and England (136).
• India won 26 gold medals, 20 silver medals and 20 bronze medals.
• Neeraj Chopra became the first Indian gold medallist in javelin throw at common wealth games.
• Saina Nehwal has won gold medal in Women’s singles in badminton and mixed team of India also won gold medal in badminton.
• Vikas Krishnan (Men’s 75 kg), Gaurav Solanki (Men’s 52 kg) and Mary Kom (Women’s 45-48 kg) have won gold medals in boxing.
• Men’s table tennis team of India, Women’s table tennis teams of India and Manika Batra in Women’s single table tennis have won gold medals.
• Sanjeev Rajput (50m rifle 3 position), Tejaswini Sawant (50m rifle position), Anish Bhanwala (Men’s 25m rapid fire pistol), Shreyasi Singh (Women’s double trap), Heena Sidhu (25m pistol), Jeetu Rai (Men’s 10m air pistol) and Manu Bhaker (10m Women’s air pistol) have won gold medals in shooting.
• Punam Yadav (Women’s 69 kg), Venkat Rahul (Men’s 85 kg), Satish Sivalingam (Men’s 77 kg), Sanjita Chanu (Women’s 53 kg) and Mirabai Chanu (Women’s 48 kg) have won gold medals in weightlifting.
• Vinesh Phogat (Women’s freestyle 50 kg), Sumit Malik (Men’s Freestyle 125 kg), Bajrang Punia (Men’s freestyle 65 kg), Sushil Kumar (Men’s freestyle 74 kg) and Rahul Aware (Men’s freestyle 57 kg) have won gold medals in wrestling.
2. Gram Swaraj Abhiyan
• Gram Swaraj Abhiyan was launched on the birthday of Dr. B.R.Ambedkar (14th April).
• The objective of this Abhiyan is to promote social harmony, reach out to poor rural households, focus on doubling farmer’s income, enhance livelihood opportunities etc.
• The program envisages 100% coverage of seven schemes launched by Union Government from 14th April to 5th May 2018.
Source: The Hindu, Wikipedia, PIB