Current Affairs of 24thOctober
Neelakshi Das, Published On:24-Oct-2018
1. The Supreme Court struck a balance between the interests of the firecracker industry and the right to public health, allowing the manufacture and sale of only “green” and reduced emission or “improved” crackers, while banning those that are loud and toxic to man, animal and the environment.
2. The Ministry of Women and Child Development is organizing the 5th edition of the Women of India Organic Festival from 26th October to 4th November, 2018 at Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts, Janpath Road, New Delhi.
This is aimed to boost organic culture and promote Women Organic Farmers and Entrepreneurs.
3. CAG questions RBI’s role when NPA crisis was brewing
- Comptroller and Auditor General of India Rajiv Mehrishi questioned the role of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) during the time when the banks were “going berserk with their lending”, leading to the high levels of NPAs, saying that there was no public discourse on the role of the central bank during this period.
4. H1B labour certification: TCS in top 10
- Software major Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) is the only Indian company among the top 10 firms to get foreign labour certification for the H1B visas for the fiscal year 2018.
- Ernst & Young was ranked No 1
5. 24th October is celebrated as United Nations day since 1948.
UN Secretary-General António Guterres
- The Permanent Mission of India to the UN is hosting the UN Day Concert 2018, which will feature performance by sarod maestro Amjad Ali and his sons at the General Assembly hall at the world body’s headquarters, New York
- The concert’s theme this year is ‘Traditions of Peace and Non-violence.’
6. PM awarded the 2018 Seoul Peace Prize
The Seoul Peace Prize Committee has decided to confer the 2018 Seoul Peace Prize on Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, in recognition of his dedication to improving international cooperation, raising global economic growth, accelerating the Human Development of the people of India by fostering economic growth(Modinomics) in the world's fastest growing large economy and furthering the development of democracy through anti-corruption and social integration efforts.
7. India has most outward migrants in 2017, says ADB report
- Most of the international migrants in 2017 were from India, followed by China and Bangladesh, as per report published by Asian Development Bank (ADB).
- The report further said as many as one third of international migrants were from Asia in 2017
- Asian Development Bank Headquarters: Manila, Philipines
- Asian Development Bank President: Takehiko Nakao
8. IBBI notifies the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (Mechanism for Issuing Regulations) Regulations, 2018
The Issuing Regulations are effective from 22nd October, 2018.
Appointments and Resignation
1. TVS Motor president K.N. Radhakrishnan has been elevated as the wholetime director of the company. He will hold office as director and CEO for a period of five years.
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information bureau website
Important Questions for BANK/SSC/UPSC and other government exams:
1. Where will Women of India Organic Festival be held?
2. Who is the Comptroller and Auditor General of India?
3. Which is the only Indian company among the top 10 firms to get foreign labour certification for the H1B visas for the fiscal year 2018?
4. United Nations day is celebrated on ___________
5. Who has been awarded the 2018 Seoul Peace Prize?
6. Who is UN Secretary-General?
7. Where is the Headquarters of Asian Development Bank?
2. Rajiv Mehrishi
4. 24th October
5. PM Narendra Modi
6. António Guterres
7. Manila, Philipines