Current Affairs of 25thOctober
Neelakshi Das, Published On:25-Oct-2018
1. Centre sets up GoM on sexual harassment to effectively implement the law against sexual harassment at the workplace and to strengthen the legal and institutional framework in response to the #MeToo campaign.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh will head the GoM, which includes
Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari
Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and
Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi.
2. World’s first humanoid robot Sophia arrives at the the Vizag Fintech Festival, Visakhapatam.
- Hong Kong-based Hanson Robotics built the robot.
3. Smt Anupriya Patel, Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare inaugurated a seminar on “Women’s Health Challenges, Access and Prevention” organised by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), in Delhi.
4. PM Narendra Modi Launches 'Main Nahin Hum' Portal while interacting with IT professionals at the town hall in Delhi.
- The portal works on the theme “Self 4 Society”.
- It will enable IT professionals and organisations to bring together their efforts towards social causes and service to society on one platform.
5. The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the following
1. Signing and ratification of Extradition Treaty between India and Malawi.
2. The creation of one post of Director in the basic pay of Rs. 2,25,000/- (fixed) plus NPA but not exceeding Rs.2,37,500/- each for new AIIMS at Rae Bareli (Uttar Pradesh), Gorakhpur (Uttar Pradesh), Bathinda (Punjab), Guwahati (Assam), Bilaspur (Himachal Pradesh) and Deoghar (Jharkhand).
3. Setting up of Indian Institute of Skills(IISs) at different locations across the country in Public Private Partnership (PPP), which will be explored for promotion of IIS at select locations based on demand and available infrastructure.
4. The appointment of Adjudicating Authority and establishment of Appellate Tribunal under Prohibition of Benami Property Transactions Act(PBPT), 1988.
5. Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) among Brazil, Russian Federation, India, China, South Africa, regarding Cooperation in the Social and Labour Sphere.The MoU was signed on 3rd August, 2018 during BRICS Labour and Employment Ministers (LEM) Meeting.
6. Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and Singapore in June, 2018 on the constitution of a Joint Working Group (JWG) on FinTech.
7. The signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) and Certified Professional Accountants Afghanistan (CPA Afghanistan)
8. Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed among the BRICS Nations on Environmental Cooperation. The MoU was signed during the 10th BRICS Summit in July, 2018 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
9. The signing of Bilateral Investment Agreement (BIA) between India Taipei Association (ITA) in Taipei and Taipei Economic and Cultural Center (TECC) in India.
10. The constitution of a High Level Steering Committee for periodically reviewing and refining the National Indicator Framework (NIF) for monitoring of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) with associated targets.
Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA)
11. The Centre has set up a ₹7,522crore fund to create infrastructure facilities for the fisheries sector and help boost annual fish production to 20 million tonnes by 2023 from the current production of 11.4 million tonnes.
12. the New Railway Line between Bahraich and Khalilabad, Uttar Pradesh
6. The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu Inaugurates International Conference 'AFITA/WCCA2018' on Research Frontiers in Precision Agriculture held in Delhi.
7. The Supreme Court banned the sale and registration of motor vehicles conforming to the emission standard Bharat Stage IV in the entire country from April 1, 2020
8. Israel and India sign $777 mn missile deal.
- Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) has signed a $777 mn deal with Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) to supply additional Barak 8 Long Range Surface to Air Missile (LRSAM) systems for seven warships of the Indian Navy
- The LRSAM can intercept aerial targets up to a range of 80 km.
- It is being co developed by the DRDO in India and IAI, and will be manufactured by Bharat Dynamics Limited.
9. The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the International Arya Mahasammelan – 2018 today (October 25, 2018) in Delhi.
10. Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurates 10th Nuclear Energy Conclave on the theme: ‘Nuclear Power- Towards a Clean & Base Load Energy’
- Kaiga Atomic Power Station unit sets world record among PHWR for operating uninterrupted for 895 days.
- Dr Jitendra Singh is the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space
- Cabinet has given its approval for construction of 10 units of India’s indigenous Pressurized Heavy Water Reactors (PHWR)
- An atomic plant is in the process of being set up in Gorakhpur, Haryana near Delhi
- The “Hall of Nuclear Power”- India’s first permanent exhibition on nuclear power, has been built in the national capital.
- Dr K N Vyas is the Chairman AEC and Secretary, Department of Atomic Energy (DAE)
11. The Minister of Human Resource Development, Shri Prakash Javadekar launched the web portal of the Scheme “Scheme for Promotion of Academic and Research Collaboration (SPARC)” in New Delhi
- The scheme aims at improving the research ecosystem of India’s higher educational institutions by facilitating academic and research collaborations between Indian Institutions and the best institutions in the world.
12. Union Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu inaugurates BIOFACH India which is the world’s largest event on organic industry organized by Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) and Indo-German of Commerce in New Delhi
Appointments and Resignation
13. CBI Director Alok Verma and his deputy, Special Director Rakesh Asthana, were dramatically divested of their powers following the high profile case corruption case.
- Joint Director M. Nageswara Rao was given interim charge of the premier investigating agency
14. Canadian rapper Jon James McMurray died after a plane stunt went wrong
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information bureau website
Important Questions for BANK/SSC/UPSC and other government exams:
1. Which state is Kaiga Atomic Power Station located at?
2. Who will head the GoM on sexual harassment?
3. Who is the Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare?
4. The portal launched recently to enable IT professionals and organisations to bring together their efforts towards social causes and service to society on one platform is ___________
5. What is the theme of 10th Nuclear Energy Conclave?
2. Home Minister Rajnath Singh
3. Smt Anupriya Patel
4. 'Main Nahin Hum'
5. ‘Nuclear Power- Towards a Clean & Base Load Energy’