Current Affairs of 26th October
Neelakshi Das, Published On:26-Oct-2018
1. Vigilance Awareness Week 2018 to be observed from 29th Oct-3rd Nov
Theme for this year is ‘Eradicate Corruption-Build a New India’(भ्रष्टाचार मिटाओ- नया भारत बनाओ)”
- A new feature is the establishment of ‘Integrity Clubs’ in schools and colleges to cultivate ethical values in the leaders of tomorrow.
- An online “Integrity Pledge” has been developed by the Commission.
- Central Vigilance Commissioner is Shri K V Chowdary
- Vigilance Commissioners are Dr. Tejendra Mohan Bhasin and Shri Sharad kumar.
2. 3-Day India Mobile Congress(IMC) with the theme, “New Digital Horizons – Connect. Create. Innovate.” began on a grand note in Aerocity Delhi with over 300 companies, 20 countries participating in this prestigious event in the Asia Pacific region.
- Shri Manoj Sinha, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Communications and Minister of State for Railways, accompanied by Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad, Union Minister of Electronics and Information Technology and Law & Justice, Shri Suresh Prabhu, Union Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Shri Hardeep Singh Puri, Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Housing & Urban Affairs, Ministers and dignitaries from Cambodia, European Union, Lao-PDR, Myanmar, Mauritius, Nepal, South Africa inaugurated and participated in this 2nd edition of the epoch marking event, which began in 2017 to build a collaboration platform for technologies and services in next generation mobile communications.
- Telecom industry to rollout one million WiFi hotspots(Bharat Wi-Fi) in the country by December 2019.
- National Frequency Allocation Plan 2018 (NFAP) was unveiled presenting a pioneering road map for the Indian digital communications industry.
3. The Tagore Award for Cultural Harmony for the years 2014, 2015 & 2016 is being conferred on the doyen of Manipuri dance Sh. Rajkumar Singhajit Singh; Chhayanaut (a cultural organization of Bangladesh) and on one of India’s greatest sculptors, Sh. Ram Vanji Sutar, respectively.
- The Jury was chaired by Prime Minister, Sh Narendra Modi and comprised the Chief Justice of India, Justice Ranjan Gogoi, Shri N. Gopalaswami & Dr. Vinay Sahasrabuddhe.
4. Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Shri J P Nadda addresses 2nd International Conference on Primary Health Care towards UHC & SDGs at Astana, Kazakhstan
- The theme was The Future of Primary Health Care.
- Kazakhstan Capital: Astana
- Kazakhstan Currency: Kazakhstani tenge
5. The Union Minister for Human Resource Development Shri Prakash Javadekar launched the web portal of the Scheme “Impactful Policy Research in Social Sciences (IMPRESS)” in New Delhi
6. India wins Commonwealth Association for Public Administration and Management Award, 2018
- The initiative entitled “Unnayan Banka- Reinventing Education Using Technology of Banka District, State of Bihar has been awarded under the Category “Innovation Incubation”.
- “Unnayan Banka” is an initiative which envisages “Quality education for all’ especially for those at the bottom of the Pyramid, using latest technologies.
- Another initiative entitled “Unified Agriculture Markets” of Co-operation Department of Government of Karnataka has also been selected under the Category ‘Innovation in Public Service Management’. This initiative has also been awarded the overall Gold Award for CAPAM Awards, 2018.
- The Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG), Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions is an institutional member of Commonwealth Association for Public Administration and Management (CAPAM) which is a non-profit association representing an international network of over 1100 senior public servants, Heads of Government, leading academics and researchers located in over 50 different countries across the Commonwealth.
7. India and Bangladesh signed several milestone agreements for enhancing inland and coastal waterways connectivity between the two countries for trade and cruise movements.
- The two countries have signed an agreement to use Chattogram and Mongla Ports in Bangladesh for movement of goods to and from India.
- An addendum to ‘Protocol on Inland Water Transit and Trade’ (PIWTT) between India and Bangladesh has been signed for inclusion of Dhubri in India and Pangaon in Bangladesh as new Ports of Call.
8. Union Agriculture & Farmers Welfare Minister Shri Radha Mohan Singh has said that with an aim of achieving the goal of doubling farmers’ income, the agriculture budget has been enhanced by 74.5% on the occasion of inauguration ceremony of Krishi Kumbh 2018 organised in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana (PKVY) is being implemented with a view to promote organic farming in the country
- Realizing the possibility of organic farming in the northeast, Mission Organic Value Chain Development for North Eastern Region (MOVCD-NER) has been initiated.
- The Soil Health Card (SHC) ensures judicious use of fertilizer application thus saving money for farmers.
9. The 5th edition of the ‘Women of India National Organic Festival’ was inaugurated by Smt. Maneka Sanjay Gandhi, Union Minister for Women and Child Development, at the Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA), New Delhi today.
10. India set to be third largest aviation market by 2024 from its current seventh position, according to global aviation body, the International Air Transport Association (IATA)
- IATA Headquarters: Montreal, Canada
- IATA CEO: CEO: Alexandre de Juniac
11. China and Japan to partner in building Asia infrastructure
- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe
- Japan Capital: Tokyo, Currency: Japanese yen
- Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang
- Chinese President Xi Jinping
- China Capital: Beijing , Currency: Renminbi
Appointments and Resignation
12. Sahle-Work Zewde appointed the first woman President of Ethiopia
- Ethiopia Capital: Addis Ababa , Currency: Ethiopian birr
Awards and recognition
13. Agricultural scientist M.S. Swaminathan received the first World Agriculture Prize instituted by the Indian Council of Food and Agriculture (ICFA)
- Prof. Swaminathan has been hailed by the United Nations Environment Programme as ‘The Father of Economic Ecology’ owing to his commitment towards the ever-green revolution movement in agriculture.
- The prize will be presented by Vice-President Venkaiah Naidu at Vigyan Bhawan at a special session, named Swaminathan Global Dialogue on Climate Change and Food Security
14. SCARF award for Journalists Jyoti Shelar of The Hindu, S. Ramanathan of The Newsminute and Disha Shetty of The Wire
15. West Indies all rounder Dwayne Bravo retired from international cricket to prolong his career as a professional player available for T20 franchise events all over the world.
16. Pooja Dhanda wins bronze in the World wrestling championship held in Budapest.
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information bureau website
Important Questions for BANK/SSC/UPSC and other government exams:
1. Who is the Central Vigilance Commissioner of India?
2. When will Vigilance Awareness Week 2018 be observed?
3. What is the theme of Vigilance Awareness Week 2018?
4. Who is the Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Communications?
5. What is the theme of India Mobile Congress(IMC)?
6. Sh. Ram Vanji Sutar has been awarded the Tagore Award for Cultural Harmony,2016. Who is he by profession?
7. Where was the 2nd International Conference on Primary Health Care held ?
8. The full form of the scheme IMPRESS is ________
9. Where is the Krishi Kumbh 2018 held at?
10. Who received the first World Agriculture Prize
1. Shri K V Chowdary
2. 29th Oct-3rd Nov
3. ‘Eradicate Corruption-Build a New India’(भ्रष्टाचार मिटाओ- नया भारत बनाओ)”
4. Shri Manoj Sinha
5. ‘“New Digital Horizons – Connect. Create. Innovate.”
7. Astana, Kazakhstan
8. Impactful Policy Research in Social Sciences
9. Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
10. Agricultural scientist M.S. Swaminathan