Current Affairs of 27th October
Neelakshi Das, Published On:27-Oct-2018
1. The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu addressed the 64th Annual meeting of the General Body of Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA), as its President
- He said that 5As - Ambition, Ability, Agility, Accountability & Achievement are the important to reform governance system
- Chairperson of Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA): T. N. Chaturvedi
2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi on a two day official visit to Japan on 28-29 October 2018 for the Annual India-Japan Summit.
- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is expected to make special arrangements to host the Indian PM
- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe
- Japan Capital: Tokyo, Currency: Japanese yen
3. India’s exports rose by 9.8%, in financial year 2017-18, which is the highest rate of growth in six years. - stated by Union Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu, at the Export Summit 2018 organised by Confederation of Indian Industry in New Delhi on 26th October.
- The Theme - Exports Summit- Brining in a new wave of growth
- Confederation of Indian Industry Headquarters: New Delhi, India
- President: Rakesh Bharti Mittal.
4. Co-operation on Digital communications & economy discussed between India and European Commission
- The Minister of State for Communications (Independent Charge) GOI, Mr Manoj Sinha and the H.E. Mr Andrus Ansip, European Commissioner for Digital Single Market and Vice President of the European Commission met in New Delhi.
- The India-EU co-operation dialogue on Digital Communications will take place annually through appropriate mechanism within the existing framework of the India-EU Joint Working Group on ICTs which was set up in 2011.
- The next India-EU dialogue on co-operation in the field of Digital Communications in the first half of 2019
- European union Headquarters: City of Brussels, Belgium
- 28 member states
5. The ‘Experiencing North East’ festival depicting the uniqueness of North Eastern culture is being organised at India International Centre (IIC), New Delhi from 27th-31st October, 2018.
- The festival, a part of Destination North East series, is being organised by North Eastern Council (NEC), Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) in collaboration with India International Centre.
6. The 22nd National Level Meeting between India and Myanmar was held from 25 to 26 October, 2018.
- The Indian delegation was led by Shri Rajiv Gauba, Secretary, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India and the Myanmar delegation was led by Major General Aung Thu, Deputy Minister, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar.
- Both sides agree to deepen cooperation on border security and to curb insurgency.
7. 24th edition of Technology Summit will be held on on 29th and 30th October, 2018 in New Delhi; Italy will be the partner country for the first time.
- Valedictory session of the summit will be addressed by the Prime Ministers of India & Italy.
- Italy Capital: Rome, Currency: Euro
- Italy PM: Giuseppe Conte
8. The Union Minister of Road Transport & Highways, Shipping, Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation, Nitin Gadkari held a meeting with the Myanmar Minister for Communication and Transport Mr U Thant Sin Maung in New Delhi on 26th October to discuss the progress of the ongoing India – Myanmar Transport Connectivity Projects.
- The two sides discussed the status of the project for upgradation of the Kalewa-Yagyi stretch of the India-Myanmar-Thailand (IMT) Trilateral Highway, starting Imphal-Mandalay bus service and a bilateral Motor Vehicles Agreement between the two countries.
- Myanmar(Burma) Capital: Naypyidaw ; Currency: Burmese kyat
9. Shri Durga Shanker Mishra, Secretary, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has stated that a total of Rs 5008 crores of housing loan subsidy has been disbursed to 2.3 Lakh CLSS beneficiaries till now under EWS/LIG and MIG categories under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) PMAY(U) scheme.
10. Navratna Defence PSU Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) Registers 35% Growth in 2nd Quarter of FY 2018-19
- BEL Headquarters: Bengaluru
11. Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa becomes Sri Lanka's new PM after President, Maithripala Sirisena sacks incumbent premier Ranil Wickremesinghe who termed the move as “unconstitutional” and vowed to prove his majority in Parliament.
- The sudden development came amid growing tensions between Sirisena and Wickremesinghe on several policy matters and the President has been critical of the Prime Minister and his policies, especially on economy and security.
- Sri Lanka Capital: Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte, Currency: Sri Lankan rupee
12. SC orders Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) to complete its inquiry into the allegations of graft and misconduct against exiled CBI Director Alok Verma in two weeks.
- The inquiry will be conducted under the supervision of former Supreme Court judge A.K. Patnaik
- The powers of the incumbent at the helm of the agency, M. Nageswara Rao have been clipped. Mr. Rao will take care of only routine tasks essential to keep the CBI functioning. He has been barred from taking any major or policy decisions.
13. ArcelorMittal wins the bid to buyout Essar Steel for ₹50,000 crore amidst ₹54,389 crore bid from Ruias for full settlement with the creditors of Essar Steel.
- The resolution plan of the winning consortium — of which Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corp. are a part — includes upfront payment of about ₹42,000 crore and a further injection of ₹8,000 crore into Essar Steel towards operational improvement and higher production levels.
14. Indian Air Force (IAF) gets first overhauled Sukhoi (Su30 MKI) aircraft overhauled by the IAF's Base Repair Depot (BRD), Ojhar in Maharashtra.
15. The Department of Telecom issued a notification asking all telecom service providers to discontinue the use of Aadhaar eKYC both for verification as well as for issue of new mobile connections.
- The notification follows the Supreme Court’s September order striking down Section 57 of the Aadhaar Act that allowed private entities to seek Aadhaar data.
16. The Reserve Bank of India would inject ₹40,000 crore into the system in November through purchase of government securities as it looks to meet festive season demand for funds.
- RBI Governor: Urjit Patel
17. Samsung to hold India 5G trials next year. Jio to remain the firm’s prime partner.
Appointments and Resignation
18. The official spokesperson of Ministry of Defence (MoD) Swaranashree Rao Rajashekar was sent on indefinite leave after her controversial tweet commenting on a post by former Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Arun Prakash.
- Col. Aman Anand,the Public Relations Officer (PRO), Army took over as the acting Official Spokesperson of MOD
Awards and recognition
19. Vice President of India, Shri. M. Venkaiah Naidu said at the Presentation ceremony of ‘Earth Heroes Awards’ 2018 instituted by the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS)
- Eight winners for the year were chosen for their significant contributions towards protecting and conserving the valuable resources of our planet and for going above and beyond their call of duty to save the planet’s ecological assets.
- RBS Headquarters: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- Founded in 1727
20. Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML), a Mini Ratna Public Sector Undertaking, under the Ministry of Defence, received the prestigious ‘Top Challengers Award 2018’ for the excellent performance during financial year 2017-18 and Best Seller in Crawler Equipment- Dozers and Rigid Dump Truck segment for mining sectors.
- CMD BEML Shri Deepak Kumar Hota
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information bureau website
Important Questions for BANK/SSC/UPSC and other government exams:
1. Who is the Chairperson of Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA)?
2. What is the Currency of Japan?
3. Who is the Union Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation?
4. Who organised the Export Summit 2018?
5. The capital of Myanmar is _________
6.Who will be the partner country for the first time of Technology Summit to be held on on 29th and 30th October, 2018 in New Delhi?
7. Who is the Secretary, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs?
8. The Headquarters of Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) is in_______
9. Who has been elected as the new PM of Sri Lanka?
10. Which company won the Top Challengers Award 2018?
1. T. N. Chaturvedi
2. Japanese yen
3. Suresh Prabhu
4. Confederation of Indian Industry
7. Shri Durga Shanker Mishra
9. Mahinda Rajapaksa
10. Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML)