Current Affairs of 31st October
Neelakshi Das, Published On:31-Oct-2018
1. Delhi airport to invest ₹9,000 cr to boost capacity
- The Delhi airport is operated by Delhi International Airport Limited, a joint venture between GMR Group, Fraport and Airports Authority of India.
- It is the busiest airport in the country handling close to 70 million passengers annually. The proposed upgrade will see the passenger handling capacity increase to over 90 million.
- The funds will be utilised over three years and will see the construction of a fourth runway which will have a length of 4 km. The funds will also be used for doing work on the air and terminal side.
- The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu released “The Economic Impact Report” and “Coffee Table” Books encapsulating the growth story of Indian Aviation marking completion of 12 years of operations of GMR Group at Delhi Airport, New Delhi.
2. Board members of United States India Strategic Partnership Forum (USISPF) comprising senior industry and business captains of the United States of America, called on Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and briefed him on the outcomes of India Leadership Summit.
3. The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi along with his Italian counterpart,Mr. Giuseppe Conte, addressed the India-Italy Technology Summit in New Delhi on 30th October.
- Prime Minister announced the launch of the next phase of the India-Italy Industrial Research and Development Cooperation program.
- Prime Minister also expressed happiness in the enhanced cooperation between India and Italy in the field of Lifestyle Accessories Design, LAD . He added that special focus will be given to Leather sector and Transportation & Automobile Design , TAD.
- Italy Capital: Rome , Currency: Euro
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated the world’s tallest statue, the “Statue of Unity”, to the Nation, at Kevadiya in Gujarat on the birth anniversary of India’s first Home Minister Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on October 31.
- The 182 metre statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, is built by engineering and infrastructure major L&T on the river Narmada in South Gujarat
- The statue is made up of 1,700 tonnes of bronze, 1,850 tonnes of bronze cladding, 70,000 metric tonnes of cement and 24,500 metric tonnes of steel.
- Two high speed elevators inside can take tourists up to the statue’s chest from where around 200 visitors can view the Narmada river and the Sardar Sarovar dam over it. The Museum and Exhibition, and the Viewers’ Gallery at 153 metres height, can accommodate upto 200 visitors at one time. It offers a spectacular view of the Sardar Sarovar Dam, its reservoir, and the Satpura and Vindhya mountain ranges.
- Built at a cost of Rs 2,989 crores, the project took 42 months to complete.
- Apart from the statue itself, there are five other related sites that are constructed along with the world’s tallest statue.
- These include the walkway, the ticket counter, the food court, the four-lane approach highway, and the ‘Shrestha Bharat Bhavan’- a 52-room three-star lodging facility for the visitors coming to see the monument.
5. Ministry of Defence (MOD) signs contract with Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE) Limited, Kolkata for supply of four survey vessels for Indian Navy
6. INS Tarangini returns after a seven months long Voyage across the World.
- The Voyage named “Lokayan 18” was flagged off on 10 Apr 18 from Kochi.
- INS Tarangini is a three masted 'square rigged' barque which carries a total of 20 sails.
- She is the First Sail Training Ship of the two in Indian Navy, the other being INS Sudarshini and was commissioned on 11 Nov 1997.
- She had previously embarked on three previous ‘Lokayans’ (2005, 2007 and 2015).
7. DoNER Minister Dr Jitendra Singh lays foundation stone of ‘Technology Facility Center’ at Jorhat, Assam
8. A Clean Air Week would be organised from 01 to 05 November, 2018 in collaboration with the Government of Delhi and the four major NCR cities to control the air pollution.
9. 19th Meeting of the Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) held under the Chairmanship of the Union Finance Minister,Shri Arun Jaitley reviewed the current global and domestic economic situation and financial sector performance.
- The Council decided that the Regulators and the Government would keep a close watch on the developing situation and take all necessary measures.
10. Shri J P Nadda, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare in the presence of Shri Sarbananda Sonowal, Chief Minister of Assam, inaugurated the 5th National Summit on “Good & Replicable Practices & Innovations in Public Health Care Systems in India” at Kaziranga, Assam
- The award for Highest Annual Decline in Neonatal Mortality Rate 2015 vs 2016 among states was given to Himachal Pradesh followed by Tamil Nadu and Delhi.
- The award for highest annual decline in Infant Mortality Rate was given to Kerala, followed by Mizoram and Karnataka.
- The award for highest annual decline in Under 5 Mortality was given Himachal Pradesh followed by Assam and Jharkhand, Gujarat and Kerela.
- For best performance in Family Planning awards, were given to West Bengal, Chattisgarh and Rajasthan.
11. The Union Home Secretary Shri Rajiv Gauba attended the valedictory session of the two-day conference on “CCTNS--Good practices and Success Stories” organised by National Crime Record Bureau (NCRB).
- Director IB, Shri Rajiv Jain was the Guest of Honour on the occasion.
12. Cumulative no of Houses Sanctioned Under PMAY(U) now more than 62,53,731
- 2,15,083 Houses Sanctioned Under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana(Urban) in the 39th Central Sanctioning and Monitoring Committee(CSMC)
- Andhra Pradesh Gets 41,707 Houses, Maharashtra - 20,499, Uttar Pradesh - 50,271, West Bengal -1,00,704, Nagaland - 1425 houses and Dadra and Nagar Haveli 477 houses.
13. In the Financial Year 2018-19, so far 92% wage payments under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) has been generated within 15 days.
- The allocation of MGNREGA was also increased to a record Rs. 55,000 crore in 2018-19.
14. The Kingdom of Netherlands to be the Partner Country 25th DST – CII Technology Summit 2019
- Capital: Amsterdam, Currencies: Euro, United States Dollar
15. State Bank of India has halved the daily cash withdrawal limit from ATMs for certain debitcard holders to ₹20,000 from Wednesday
- The withdrawal limit has been curtailed on Classic and Maestro debit cards, held by a large number of the bank customers
16. 31st October is observed as Rashtriya Ekta Diwas (National Unity Day)
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information bureau website