Current Affairs of 1st December
Anjali Singh, Published On:01-Dec-2018
1. Coalgate: former Coal Secretary convicted
- A Delhi court on Friday convicted former Coal Secretary H.C. Gupta in a corruption case relating to allotment of coal blocks in West Bengal during the previous UPA regime at the Centre.
- All the convicted persons have been sent to judicial custody till December 3 when Special CBI Judge Bharat Parashar will hear the arguments on the sentence, which entails maximum punishment of seven years in jail.
2. Subsidised LPG price cut by ₹6.5 per cylinder
- Domestic cooking gas price was cut by ₹6.52 per cylinder due to tax impact on the reduced market rate for the fuel. A 14.2kg subsidised LPG cylinder will cost ₹500.90 in Delhi as against ₹507.42.
3. India is trying to resolve a crisis that began after seven Indian employees of IL&FS were taken hostage by local workers in Ethiopia over unpaid wages.
4.. The Calcutta High Court refused to stay the scheduled election of West Bengal Minister Firhad Hakim as the mayor of the city
- Mr. Hakim has been chosen as the mayor designate of the Kolkata Municipal Corporation by councillors of the ruling Trinamool Congress following Sovan Chatterjee’s resignation from the post
5. Paris city will strip Aung San Suu Kyi of her honorary freedom of the French capital over her failure to speak out against the crackdown on the Rohingya minority in Myanmar, a spokeswoman for the mayor’s office
6. Amnesty International UK has urged the British government to raise urgent concerns around human rights and the “politically motivated restrictions” placed on NGOs such as Amnesty India and Greenpeace India with Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the G20 summit in Buenos Aires
7. The Supreme Court Friday asked the Department of Telecom (DoT) to give a no objection certificate (NoC) to Reliance Communications (RCom) to sell its spectrum to Reliance Jio, provided a corporate guarantee of ₹1,400 crore is furnished by its group firm in favour of the government by December 2.
8. India’s fiscal deficit in the first seven months of the financial year, at ₹6.49 lakh crore, exceeded the budgeted target for the entire year, coming in at 103.9% of that target, according to official data released
Appointments and Resignation
9. In a dramatic turn of events, the Madras High Court appointed Inspector General of Police A.G. Ponn Manickavel, who retired on Friday, as a Special Officer for a year so that he could continue to head the Idol Wing Criminal Investigation Department
10. Senior Odisha BJP leaders Bijoy Mohapatra and Dilip Ray resigned from the primary membership of the BJP giving a severe jolt to the party ahead of the 2019 election.
11. Toyota Kirloskar Motor Pvt. Ltd. (TKM) has named Masakazu Yoshimura as managing director in the place of Akito Tachibana who will be repatriated.
- The formal appointment would be made on January 22, 2019. Mr. Yoshimura would be responsible for broad leadership and strategic direction of Toyota’s business operations in India
12. Y.K. Koo, the present managing director and chief executive officer, Hyundai Motor India Ltd. (HMIL) will be moving back to Korea to take up a new role after completing three year term in India. He would be replaced by Seon Seob Kim, head of business operations division.
13. 1st December - World AIDS Day
14. Saurabh Choudhary, together with Devanshi Dhama, came up with an excellent showing and helped Uttar Pradesh to a golden double in the 10m air pistol pairs event in the 62nd National shooting championships
15. Angad Vir Singh Bajwa beat Olympian and World Cup silver medallist Mairaj Ahmad Khan 87 in the shootoff, after the two were tied on 55, in the men’s skeet final of the 62nd National shotgun championship
16. Raninder Singh, president, National Rifle Association of India (NRAI), was presented the gold medal and the Diploma of Honour for “exceptional services to the sport” of shooting by the outgoing president of the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF), Olegario Vazquez Rana, at the General Assembly in Munich
17. Ridhima Dilawari captured her maiden professional title, cruising to a five-shot win in the 17th leg of the Hero Women’s Pro Golf Tour at the Noida Golf Course
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information bureau website