Current Affairs of 2nd December
Anjali Singh, Published On:02-Dec-2018
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping agreed that there had been a “perceptible improvement” in bilateral ties after their Wuhan summit and both sides are optimistic that 2019 would be an even better year for IndiaChina relations.
2. A “Delhi Police Job Fair2018” was held at NPL Kingsway Camp here on Saturday with DCP Amulya Patnaik as the chief guest of the event. Around 128 corporate entities participated.
3. Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik laid the foundation stone of several developmental projects in and around Berhampur during a visit to his home district Ganjam
- The developmental projects included a 400bed old age home, a 2,200bed hostel for the SC and ST students and new buildings on Berhampur University campus. These projects will be constructed at a cost of ₹114 crore. He also inaugurated a railway overbridge at Gopalpur junction, constructed at a cost of ₹75 crore.
4. Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday met South African President Cyril Ramaphosa on the sidelines of the G20 summit here and invited him to be the chief guest at the Republic Day celebrations next year.
5. G20 urged to act on fugitive offenders
- India on Friday presented a ninepoint agenda before G20 countries, calling for “strong and active cooperation” to deal with fugitive economic offenders comprehensively
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi presented the agenda in the second session of the G20 Summit on international trade, international financial and tax systems here. “Cooperation in legal processes, such as effective freezing of the proceeds of crime, early return of the offenders, and efficient repatriation of the proceeds of crime should be enhanced and streamlined,” the agenda read.
- India called for joint efforts by G20 countries to form a mechanism that denied entry and safe havens to fugitive economic offenders.
5. In a feat comparable to spotting a coin on the moon, researchers observed the quasar 3C 273, lying 2.4 billion light years away. Using the GRAVITY telescope in Chile, the team observed a velocity gradient in the gas at scales of about 10 microarcseconds
6. The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the 13th edition of CII Agro Tech India-2018 today (December 1, 2018) in Chandigarh.
7. Digital Sky Platform launched – India to start registration of drones, pilots, and operators Registration portal for online permission
- The Drone regulations come in effect from today
- Nano drones in India can start flying legally from today.
8. The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh inaugurated the hugely popular Hornbill Festival 2018 in Kohima today, coinciding with the Formation Day of Nagaland. Addressing the gathering, the Union Minister said that the annual Hornbill Festival is a spectacular event showcasing the rich ancient culture and civilization of the people of Nagaland. It powerfully demonstrates the cultural diversity and civilizational unity of the people.
9. The Minister of State for Home Affairs, Shri Kiren Rijiju took the salute at the 54th Raising Day Parade of Border Security Force
10. The second meeting of the newly constituted ‘NITI Forum for North East’ will be held in Guwahati on 4th December 2018. Vice Chairman NITI AAYOG, Dr. Rajiv Kumar will chair and Minister of State (IC) for DoNER, Dr. Jitendra Singh will co-chair the meeting.
Appointment and Resignation
11. Sunil Arora today assumed charge as the 23rd Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) of India succeeding Shri O.P.Rawat. Shri Rawat who demitted the office on 1st December 2018 after completing his tenure
12. On 30th November 2018, UIDAI(Unique Identification Authority of India) CEO Dr. Ajay Bhushan Pandey took over as the Revenue Secretary in the Finance Ministry after Hasmukh Adhia retires.
13. Salome Zurabishvili has won Georgia’s presidential election, becoming the first woman to hold the office in the country. She will take an oath for the office on 16th December 2018.
14. Ex President George H.W. Bush dead
- Former U.S. President George H.W. Bush, who guided America through the end of the Cold War and launched the international campaign to drive Iraqi strongman Saddam Hussein’s forces from Kuwait, died on Friday at his home in Houston. He was 94.
- Tributes quickly poured in for the 41st U.S. President
15. With France shouldering the responsibility of hosting the 2024 Olympics, the French Hockey Federation (FFH) has taken some solid steps to reflect on the country's proud history in the sport and build its National side as a power to reckon with
Inspired by the Belgian team’s success, FFH launched a robust project — ‘Ambition 2024’ — involving sponsors, players, and other stakeholders “to give hockey the place it deserves in the French sports heritage”
16. Australian Golfer, Minjee Lee became the first woman to win the prestigious Greg Norman Medal as the best Australian golfer on the international stage after her brilliant performance in 2018. Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information bureau website