Current Affairs of 18th April
Anjali Singh, Updated On:24-Apr-2019
1.The Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) discovered an Earth-sized planet, HD 21749b and a “sub-Neptune” world, revolving around the star, HD 21749.
- The star lies 53 light-years from Earth.
- The research study has been published on 15th April, 2019 in ‘The Astrophysical Journal Letters’.
- TESS was launched to Earth orbit in April 2018 on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket.
2.Indian Coast Guard vessel Veera commissioned by General Bipin Rawat, Chief of Army Staff in the presence of Director General of Indian Coast Guard Rajendra Singh, Chief of Eastern Naval Command Vice Admiral Karambir Singh and other senior dignitaries of the central and state government in a ceremony organised at Eastern Naval Command in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
3.Former Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) president Jose Maria Marin has been banned for life from all football activities by FIFA.
- In August 2018, Marin who led Brazil’s organising committee for the 2014 World Cup, was sentenced to four years in prison for racketeering, money laundering and wire fraud. He became the first person to be imprisoned as the result of the US investigation into corruption at world football’s governing body.
4.The Indian Navy held the 2nd edition of the bilateral maritime exercise between the Indian Navy and Vietnam People's Navy, (IN – VPN BILAT EX) at Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam during 13th to 16th April, 2019.
- The exercise was undertaken as a part of the ongoing Overseas Deployment of Eastern Fleet ships to South East Asian countries.
- INS Kolkata under the command of Captain Aditya Hara and INS Shakti under the command of Captain Sriram Amur participated in the exercise.
5.Global provider of real-time electronic payment and banking solutions, ACI Worldwide, notified that India’s public sector bank, Canara Bank has successfully rolled out new functionality that supports EMV (Europay, MasterCard and Visa) card acquiring across its ATM (Automated Teller Machine) network and Aadhaar Authentication, thus becoming the 1st in the market to leverage ACI’s UP Retail Payments solution and the 1st public sector bank to shift to EMV chip and PIN for card based transactions across the country’s vast ATM network.
6.Two international financial institutions the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) have launched a private blockchain and quasi-crypto currency called as “Learning Coin” for better understanding of blockchain technology and the function of crypto assets
Awards and Recognition
7.NASA has awarded three teams of Indian students in its 25th Annual Human Exploration Rover challenge 2019 at the US Space and Rocket Centre in Huntsville, Alabama.The program invites college students and high school students to develop and test roving vehicles for future missions to the Mars,Moon and beyond.
- “AIAA Neil Armstrong Best Design Award” won by team from KIET Group of Institutions in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh.
- Team from Lovely Professional University in Phagwara, Punjab, received “STEM Engagement Award”.
- The Mukesh Patel School of Technology Management and Engineering, Mumbai, Maharashtra, received the “Frank Joe Sexton Memorial Pit Crew Award” and also won the System Safety Challenge Award at the competition hosted by NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center.
Appointment and Resignation
8.Bus ticketing platform redBus has appointed cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni as its brand ambassador.
- The cricketer will appear in a hockey player avatar in his first cameo for the brand, slated to be launched soon.
- Dhoni’s brand endorsement deals can be in the range of ₹ 3-10 crore.
9.Cairn Oil & Gas, a division of Vedanta Ltd, has announced the appointment of Ajay Kumar Dixit as its Chief Executive Officer.
- Dixit succeeds Sudhir Mathur, who after seven successful years with the company, moves on to pursue personal endeavors. Dixit had joined Vedanta in 2015 from Siemens where he was CEO-Energy for South Asia.
10.The US Department of Interior inducted its very first Indian, Delhi-based Sanjay Kumar, CEO of Geospatial Media and Communications and Secretary General of World Geospatial Industry Council (WGIC), to its prestigious National Geospatial Advisory Committee (NGAC).
11.World Heritage Day also known as International Day for Monuments and Sites is an annual event celebrated on 18 April every year.
- In 2019, the theme is Rural Landscapes.
- The day was proposed by the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) on 18 April 1982 and approved by the General Assembly of UNESCO in 1983.
- To emphasize the importance of safeguarding various sites around the world that have achieved world heritage status and the challenges involved in protecting these sites.
12.Indian women's cricket team captain Mithali Raj has been named the goodwill ambassador of Team India at the Street Child Cricket World Cup (SCCWC).
- She, alongside Sourav Ganguly and Rajasthan Royals, joins in supporting the team as they gear up for the final match at Lords, just ahead of the ICC Cricket World Cup in May this year. India has over 20 lakh street connected children.
13.Ethiopian athletes Gelete Burka in women’s race and Abraha Milaw in men’s race have won the 43rd edition of the Paris Marathon by leading a record of 60,000 participants through the French capital, Paris on 14th April, 2019.
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information Bureau website