Current Affairs of 20th April
Anjali Singh, Updated On:24-Apr-2019
1.The two Indian Navy Ships (INS) are scheduled to visit Chinese port of Qingdao from 21 to 26 April to participate in an International Fleet Review to celebrate the 70th anniversary of People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Navy.
- INS Kolkata is the lead ship of the Kolkata-class stealth guided-missile destroyers of the Indian Navy. INS Shakti is tanker and supply ship.
- Over 60 countries would join the commemorative event for the PLA Navy’s 70th founding anniversary on April 23.
2.Bank of Maharashtra (BoM) partnered with M1Xchange Trade Receivables Discounting System (TReDS) platform for MSME bill discounting.
- TReDS is a digital platform to support micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) to get their bills financed at a competitive rate through an auction where multiple registered financiers can participate.
- Mynd Solutions is a technology management firm which runs the TReDS platform of M1Xchange.
3.NASA astronaut Christina Koch going to have her mission on the International Space Station (ISS) extended to 328 days, which would set a record for the longest single spaceflight by a woman.
- Koch, who arrived at the space station on March 14 is scheduled to remain in orbit until February 2020 will eclipse the record of 288 days set by former NASA astronaut Peggy Whitson in 2016-17.
4.Developed by the Nepalese scientists, NepaliSat-1 satellite was launched from Virginia in United States.
- Two Nepali scientists, Aabhas Maskey and Hariram Shrestha who are currently studying at Japanese Kyushu Institute of Technology, developed the satellite under the BIRDS project of their institute.
- The BIRDS project has been designed in association with the United Nations and aims at helping countries launch their first satellite.
5.Saudi Arabia will host the annual G20 leaders' summit on November 21-22, 2020, in its capital Riyadh.
- This will be the first G20 Summit to be hosted in the Arab world.
- Japan will host this year's G20 summit in Osaka, which will be held June 28-29, as well as ministerial meetings in eight cities.
- In 2018, the conference was held in Buenos Aries, Argentina and focused on the global economy, the future of labour markets and gender equality
6.Reserve Bank of India (RBI) released a 14 page draft document on regulatory sandbox framework in which RBI proposes that Fintech start-ups can set up regulatory sandbox or live-testing of innovative products and services in segments such as digital KYC, retail payments and data analytics among others in the financial sector.
- The concept of Regulatory Sandbox (RS) was proposed by a committee headed by RBI Executive Director Sudarshan Sen.
Awards and Recognition
7.ACI Worldwide, a global provider of real-time electronic payment and banking solutions, announced that Canara Bank has successfully rolled out major new functionality to support EMV card acquiring across its ATM network and Aadhaar Authentication, leveraging ACI’s UP Retail Payments solution to achieve market firsts.
8.Padma Bhushan awardee Yusuf Hamied who is the chairman of Cipla pharmaceutical company was honoured in the 2019 list of new fellows of the UK’s Royal Society.
9.In Malakal, South Sudan, the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) awarded 150 Indian peacekeepers with Medals of Honour for serving the mission with extreme dedication and sacrifice.
- Colonel Amit Gupta who commands a battalion of 850 soldiers in the Upper Nile region, South Sudan was 1 among the recipients of the Medal of Honour.
Appointment and Resignation
10.Deutsche Bank appointed Kaushik Shaparia as the chief executive officer for India
- He succeeds Ravneet Gill. Shaparia’s appointment will be effective from May 2019.
11.Deputy chief of mission in the embassy of India in Riyadh,Dr.Suhel Ajaz khan has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Lebanon.
- He hails from Indore,Madhya Pradesh.
12.Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer Jaideep Sarkar, currently serving as India’s ambassador in Bhutan, appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the Republic of South Africa. He will succeed Ruchi Ghanashyam.
13.The World Liver Day (WLD) is observed every year on April 19 to build awareness and understanding importance of liver in human body and how liver ailments are treated.
- As per World Health Organisation (WHO), liver diseases are 10th most common cause of death in India.
14.Peru's former president Alan Garcia shot himself in the head to avoid arrest in connection with alleged bribes from Brazilian builder Odebrecht, taking his own life, in the most dramatic turn yet in Latin America's largest graft scandal.
15.Pilot Jerrie Cobb, who was NASA’s first female astronaut candidate passed away at the age of 88 in Florida due to illness.
16.Bajrang Punia of India has regained the world number one spot in the men's 65-kilogram Wrestling freestyle category rankings.
- The rankings were released by United World Wrestling.
- Punia, who won Gold in the Asian Games and Commonwealth Games as well as a silver in the World Championships last year, secured 58 points ahead of Akhmed Chakaev of Russia.
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information Bureau website