Current Affairs of 21st April
Anjali Singh, Updated On:24-Apr-2019
1.UBER unveiled an investment of $1 billion in U.S. company Uber to drive forward the development of driverless ridesharing services.
- The latest cash injection, expected to close in the third quarter this year, came amid fevered anticipation of Uber’s public share offering which is expected to be the largest in the tech sector for years.
2.Amazon plans to close down online retail operations in China, admitting defeat to local e-commerce rivals such as Alibaba and JD.com.
- They will continue other operations in China such as Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Kindle e-books and teams that help ship goods from Chinese merchants to customers abroad.
- Amazon entered China in 2004, when it acquired a local online book seller for USD 75 million.
- They launched its Prime membership programme in China in 2016 with aim to lure customers with high-quality Western goods and perks like free international deliveries.
3.The US has won a World Trade Organization (WTO) ruling against China's use of tariff-rate quotas (TRQ) for rice, wheat and corn.
- The case, lodged by the Obama administration in late 2016, marks the second U.S. victory in as many months in the country’s ongoing trade spat with China.
- TRQs are two-level tariffs, with limited imports allowed at the lower 'in-quota' tariff and subsequent imports charged an 'out-of-quota' tariff, which is generally much higher.
- The US argued that the quotas limited market access for its grain exports.
4.The Union Cabinet approved continuation of the ongoing Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV) programme phase-4 consisting of five rocket flights during 2021-2024.
- GSLV programme phase-4: The phase four will enable the launch of two-tonne class of satellites for geo-imaging, navigation, data relay communication and space sciences.
- The total fund required for GSLV phase four completion has been pegged at Rs 2729.13 crore.
5.India’s largest app for financial services, ETMONEY has integrated Unified Payment Interface (UPI) as a payment method on its platform as it looks to double its monthly user base by the end of the year.
- The integration of UPI will simplify the mutual fund payment experience for millions of ETMONEY users as the company continues its journey to simplify the financial lives of new age Indians.
6.The world's tallest indoor waterfall, 131-foot-tall, opened for the general public at Singapore's Jewel Changi Airport.
- The waterfall is housed inside a dome-shaped complex which has gardens growing over four storeys, more than 280 retail and food outlets, a hotel and a movie theatre.
- The structure also has a botanical garden with 120 species of plants.
7.To get immediate assistance to the people who are in trouble, Union territories and Twenty states have joined in a pan-India network of single emergency helpline number ‘112’,which is implemented by central government’s Nirbhaya Fund( 2012 Delhi gangrape case).
Awards and Recognition
8.Prominent scientist and businessman Yusuf Hamied is among a host of Indian-origin experts honoured in the 2019 list of new fellows of the UK's Royal Society. He is known for his effort to produce low-cost drugs to treat diabetes, cancer and other diseases.
- The Royal Society is an independent scientific academy of the UK and the Commonwealth, dedicated to promoting excellence in science.
9.Sunil Kumar Gautam, Special Commissioner of Police (Operations) was honoured with ‘Pandit Govind Ballabh Pant Award‘ for 2018-19 by the Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPR&D) under the Ministry of Home Affairs, for his book titled ‘Samvidhan Kavya‘.
- The book was originally been written in Hindi language. There are total 238 couplets which explains the lengthiest Constitution of the world, the Indian Constitution in a very simple and poetic form.
Appointment and Resignation
10.Paytm Payments Bank Ltd. (PPB) said it has appointed an entrepreneur Sairee Chahal to its board of directors.
- Ms. Chahal is the founder and CEO of SHEROES — a community platform for women
11.Malian Prime Minister Soumeylou Boubeye Maiga resigned ahead of a no-confidence vote over his government’s failure to tackle a deadly rise in attacks from Islamist militants and clashes between ethnic communities.
- Mali has been struggling to restore stability since Islamist extremists linked to Al-Qaeda took control of the country's vast desert north in early 2012.
12.Pakistan's Finance Minister Asad Umar resigned from the cabinet before securing a multi-billion dollar International Monetary Fund bailout package for the cash-strapped country.
- Umar recently returned after visiting the US in which the details of Pakistan's next IMF bailout were discussed.
13.Export Promotion Council for Handicraft (EPCH) board has elevated Ravinder Kumar Passi (previously a vice chairman of EPCH), to the post of Chairman of EPCH.
- He will take charge for the post of Chairman shortly from his predecessor O P Prahladka.
14.One of the most well known paranormal investigator, Lorraine Warren who investigated haunted houses and other manifestation of paranormal activities throughout her life with her late husband Ed. Warren, passed away.
15.Gurgaon boy Saurav Rathi hit an impressive 5 under 66 on Day 4 of the IGU Maharashtra junior boys golf championship 2019 held at the Poona Golf Course in Yerwada to lift the category A (16 to 18 years) and category B (13 to 15 years) titles with a four-day score of 3 under 281.
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information Bureau website