Current Affairs of 9th May
Anjali Singh, Updated On:11-May-2019
1.Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) held a session for stakeholders in the renewable energy industry termed as ‘chintan baithak’, where CEOs (Chief Executive Officers) made presentations on subject matters, namely, regulatory hurdles, energy storage, transmission constraints and low cost, long term funding.
- The meeting was headed by Secretary, MNRE, Shri Anand Kumar.
- Renewable Energy (RE) sector inclusive of the dignitaries of the major RE developers, equipment manufacturers, financers, regulators, think-tanks, industry bodies and skill developers attended the meeting.
2.Max Life Insurance Co Ltd has notified that it will commemorate the 6th day of each month as ‘Protection Day’.
- The main objective of this initiative was to raise awareness on financial protection
- The decision came with the Company’s launch of Max Life India Protection Quotient survey conducted in collaboration with Kantar IMRB.
- It denoted that the extent to which the Indians feel protected from financial uncertainties is extremely low, and that level was as 35.
3.Finland held the 11th Arctic Council Ministerial Meeting in Lappi Areena, Rovaniemi, Finland.
- The dignitaries from the 8 Arctic States had approved the work completed under the 2-year Finnish Chairmanship to enhance sustainable development and environmental conservation in the Arctic region.
- The Arctic States were joined by delegates from the Arctic Council’s Permanent Participant organizations, the heads of the 6 Working Groups, and Observers.Arctic States concluded the Arctic Council Ministerial meeting by signing a joint agreement as the Arctic Council Ministers meet, passed the Chairmanship from Finland to Iceland.
4.The Commerce Ministry, Indian High Commissions and embassies of 11 African nations organized a 2-day, (that is on May 3rd and May 6th) long interaction to deepen the India-Africa trade relations.
- This was arranged over Digital Video Conference (DVC) and was attended by more than 400 members of the Indian business community in Africa.
- The interactions with the Indian Diaspora were held in 11 African nations, namely, Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, Zambia, and Mauritius, Nigeria, Mozambique, Ghana, South Africa, Botswana, and Madagascar, to construct an efficient engagement with the Indian Diaspora in Africa.
- This initiative gives more focus on the requirement for a multi-faceted strategy to enhance trade and investment between India and Africa.
5.India has inked Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with ISE Foods, Japan’s largest egg producer.
- The objective is to improve the quality of eggs, disease diagnosis and waste management in poultry farms across India. ISE Foods will establish two poultry farms in India out of which first will be in Gujarat Surat city and second will be in Telangana Siddipet.
6. It is estimated that the total trade between India and the US has grown by 12.6% from USD 118 billion to USD 140 billion in 2017.
- This was welcomed by the two countries in the recently concluded India-US bilateral trade meeting in New Delhi. The meeting was co-chaired by Suresh Prabhu, Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, along with the Wilbur Ross, US Secretary of Commerce.
- Both countries have started many initiatives to boost trade and deepen economic cooperation including the private sector led US-India SME (Small and Medium-sized Enterprise) Forum.
Awards and Recognition
7.The Secretary of United Nations, General Antonio Guterres, accompanied with top UN officials and Peacekeeping personnel paid homage to 115 peacekeepers from 43 different countries who laid down their lives in the service of peace.
- Among the 115 peacekeepers, 2 Indians were also paid tribute. They were honoured for their sacrifice in the line of duty.
Appointment and Resignation
8.Visa, the global leader in digital payments technology, announced the appointment of Sujatha V Kumar as Head of Marketing for India and South Asia.
- She will be driving overall marketing strategy and execution including consumer, retail and digital marketing initiatives for India and the emerging markets of Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, and the Maldives.
9.Jagjit Pavadia, an Indian, has been re-elected by the UN Economic and Social Council to a five year term on International Narcotics Control Board with the highest number of votes of 44 in the 54 member council.
10.Rakesh Sharma, Bajaj Auto Executive Director and also a representative of SIAM (Society of Indian Automobile Manufactures) has been elected as VP (Vice President) of IMMA, International Motorcycle Manufacturers Association (based in Geneva) during the annual general meeting of (IMMA) at Yogyakarta in Indonesia.
11.Renowned academician and father of modern Indian Legal Education, Dr. Neelakanta Ramakrishna Madhava Menon (NR Madhava Menon) died at a private hospital in Thiruvananthapuram at the age of 84. He was born on 4th May 1935 in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- Madhava Menon founded the National Law School of India University (NLSIU) in Bengaluru, National Judicial Academy (NJA) in Bhopal and the National University of Judicial Sciences (NUJS) in Kolkata.
- The first national law school in India, National Law School of India, Bengaluru, was founded in 1986.
- The school was headed by him for 12 years.The National University of Judicial Sciences in Kolkata was founded in 1998, and the National Judicial Academy in Bhopal was founded in 2003.
12.The 59th Raising Day of Border Roads Organization (BRO) was celebrated on May 7, 2019. It is a nodal road construction agency under the Ministry of Defence.
- It was formed on 7th May 1960, with the primary role of providing road connectivity in border areas.It executes road construction and maintenance works along the Northern and Western frontiers primarily to meet the strategic requirements of the Army and is responsible for over 53,000 km roads.
13.India’s Esha Singh and Akull Kumar topped qualification but were beaten by 5.4 points for the gold in junior mixed air pistol event by the German pair of Jan Luca Karstedt and Vanessa Seeger in the International Shooting Competition
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information Bureau website