Current Affairs of 4th June
Anjali Singh, Updated On:06-Jun-2019
1.The clause recommending mandatory teaching of Hindi in all schools was dropped from the draft National Education Policy, after the Union government faced an intense backlash from Tamil Nadu and protests from other States.
- So, the revised draft is uploaded by the Human Resource Development Ministry in the morning which retains the recommendation to introduce a three language formula from Class 1, merely having removed the clause stipulating the specific languages that students must choose.
- The revision was not effected by the Central government but by the committee drafting the policy, headed by former ISRO Chairman K. Kasturirangan.
2.Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal announced that the Delhi government intended to subsidise travel in public transport for women commuters in New Delhi.
- While the modalities of the scheme were still being worked out, the government intended to allow them free travel on metro trains and State run buses by August or September.
- The Chief Minister claimed the scheme was in line with his government’s intent to encourage the use of public transport, make it “safer” and to promote the participation of more women in the city’s workforce.
3.State Congress chief Sheila Dikshit said that Delhi has become a virtual “gas chamber” as the State government failed to increase green cover in the Capital and check the rising pollution levels.
- The Congress will start the tree plantation drive in the Capital would start on June 19 and last till the end of rainy season in August to help recover the lost green cover, on the occasion of party president Rahul Gandhi’s birthday and will be carried out at the Block Congress Committee level.
4.Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy ordered that a committee be formed for undertaking a complete revamp of the services in government hospitals and announced the renaming of NTR Vaidya Seva scheme as ‘YSR Aarogyasri’, besides increasing the salary of Accredited Social Health Activists (ASHA) from ₹3,000 to ₹10,000 a month.
- Addressing a review meeting on the Health, Medical and Family Welfare Department, Mr. Jagan said he would start acting on the recommendations of the committee after it submits its report in 45 days towards providing quality services that are also affordable in the government hospitals.
- Special Chief Secretary P.V. Ramesh from the Chief Minister’s Office would coordinate with the committee for coming up with an action plan on not only improving the services but also augmenting the infrastructure
5.The ninth edition of the Global Entrepreneurship Summit is all set to roll out in The Hague on June 4, with a number of entrepreneurs from across the world, including 27 from India, gathering to share their insights and showcase their ideas on a world stage.
- The Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES) 2019 is being hosted by the governments of the United States of America and the Kingdom of the Netherlands, and is the first edition of the event to be held in the European Union.
- The summit will feature about 1,200 entrepreneurs from across 140 countries, and will also provide an avenue for these entrepreneurs to showcase their ideas and work to 300 investors.
- The key focus areas of the summit include the five global challenges surrounding water, agriculture, healthcare, connectivity, and energy.
Awards and Recognition
6.Veteran actress Sheela is chosen for the prestigious J C Daniel Award, the Kerala government's highest honour for outstanding contribution to Malayalam cinema.
- The annual honour, named after J C Daniel, who made the first silent movie in Mollywood, comprises a purse of Rs 5 lakh, a citation and a plaque.
- An expert panel, chaired by renowned filmmaker K S Sethumadhavan, selected Sheela, an inevitable presence in the yesteryear Malayalam cinema known for her charismatic acting talent, for the award.
Appointment and Resignation
7.The government reappointed retired Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Ajit Doval as National Security Adviser (NSA), according him a Cabinet rank.
- He becomes the first NSA to get Cabinet status in the table of precedence. In his previous stint as an NSA, he had the stature of a Minister of State (MoS).
- According to one official, the decision was taken since Mr. Doval leads strategic dialogues with many countries and a Cabinet rank would facilitate his interactions with the most senior officials
8.Ramdas Athawale, the chief of the Republican Party of India, a BJP ally, assumed charge as Minister of State in the Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry for a second time
- Mr. Athawale is a Rajya Sabha MP. The Minister for Social Justice, Thawarchand Gehlot, will officially take charge of his office
9.Eminent historian and writer Romila Thapar has been elected as a member of the American Philosophical Society (APS), the oldest learned society in the United States.
- Dr. Thapar, a Professor emerita of history at Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) in Delhi, was among the 1,013 members elected to the society at its spring 2019 meeting.
10.The United Nations' (UN) International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression is observed on June 4 each year.
- The purpose of the day is to acknowledge the pain suffered by children throughout the world who are the victims of physical, mental and emotional abuse. This day affirms the UN's commitment to protect the rights of children.
11.The Indian women’s hockey team continued its unbeaten run and defeated Scotland 21 to enter the final of the Cantor Fitzgerald U21 four nation tournament
- Mumtaz Khan (36th minute) and Gagandeep Kaur (51st) scored for India, while Margery Justice (50th) reduced the margin.
12.Frank Layden, a longtime NBA coach and one of the league’s most colourful characters of the 1980s, received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Basketball Coaches Association.
- The jovial 87 year old Brooklyn born basketball devotee coached Utah Jazz from 19811988. In 1984, he swept the NBA CoachoftheYear, NBA Executive of the Year and NBA Citizenship awards
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information Bureau website