Current Affairs of 22nd June
Anjali Singh, Updated On:25-Jun-2019
1.Telangana Chief Minister K. Chandrasekhar Rao dedicated the Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project (KLIP) to the people with the inauguration of the barrage, in the presence of Governor of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana E.S.L. Narasimhan and Chief Ministers of Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh Devendra Fadnavis and Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy, respectively
- The Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project (KLIP), claimed to be the world’s largest multistage and multi purpose lift irrigation scheme.
- It is meant to irrigate over 37 lakh acres of new and existing ayacuts and supply drinking water to Hyderabad and villages en route.
2.The Legislative Council passed a Bill to amend the SEBC Act (Socially Economically Backward Class) to ensure 16% reservation to students of Maratha community in postgraduate medical admissions.
- The Assembly had cleared the Bill earlier this week, while it was presented in the Council and was passed unanimously.
- The Bill will now be forwarded to the Governor and will come into effect the day it is signed. An Ordinance had preceded the Bill in 2019, when the Government had promulgated it to amend the Socially and Educationally Backward Classes (SEBC) Reservation Act.
- This was done to meet the long standing demand of reservation for Marath students in postgraduate medical courses across the State.
- The State government’s decision followed agitation by the community over demands for a 16% reservation in education and government jobs last year.
3.India is likely to raise issues of terrorism, energy security and climate change financing, and call for stricter international laws on economic fugitives when Prime Minister Narendra Modi visits Osaka for the G20 summit of the world’s largest economies on June 28-29.
- The government might still be open to negotiation on the two major issues of e-commerce and data localisation, Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Sherpa for the summit, former Commerce Minister Suresh Prabhu said that both policies, which have come in for severe attack from several western countries, were still being debated within the country
4.The U.S. State Department has released its 2019 Trafficking in Persons (TIP) report, highlighting the need for action against domestic trafficking.
- India continued to be placed in Tier 2 on the country trafficking scale. The 2019 report highlights the national nature of trafficking: in 77% of the cases, victims are trafficked within their own countries of residence, rather than across borders.
- Victims of sex trafficking were more likely to be trafficked across borders while victims of forced labour were typically exploited within their own countries, the report says, citing International Labour Organisation (ILO) data.
5.Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) is a safe motherhood intervention under the National Health Mission (NHM). It is launched with the objective of reducing maternal and neonatal mortality, Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) promotes institutional delivery among pregnant women especially with weak socio-economic status i.e. women from Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and BPL households.
- The scheme focuses on the poor pregnant woman with special dispensation for States having low institutional delivery rates namely the States of Uttar Pradesh, Uttaranchal, Bihar, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Assam, Rajasthan, Orissa and Jammu and Kashmir. While these States have been named as Low Performing States (LPS), the remaining States have been named as High performing States (HPS).
6.The 35th Council meeting, the first to be chaired by finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman, gave in principle nod to an electronic invoicing system for companies and e- ticketing for multiplexes. It also allowed the use of Aadhaar for registration under GST and extended the deadline for filing of annual returns by two months to August 31.
- The GST Council, the apex decision-making body for the levy, decided to extend the tenure of National Anti-profiteering Authority (NAA) and approved the imposition of an additional penalty of up to 10% of the profiteered amount if companies don’t pay up fine in 30 days. At present, companies have to deposit a penalty of Rs 25,000.
Appointment and Resignation
7.The dedicated bankruptcy court has cleared the appointment of Anish Nanavaty of Deloitte as the Resolution Professional (RP) for Reliance Communications(RCom) and its two units - Reliance Telecom and Reliance Infratel even as claims worth over Rs 66,000 crore have been verified.
8.IL&FS Investment Managers said that audit firm BSR & Associates LLP has resigned as the statutory auditors of the company.
- The announcement has come a day after BSR & Associates, a KPMG group associate, resigned as statutory auditor of IL&FS Financial Services (IFIN).
- BSR & Associates in a letter to IL&FS Investment Managers has said that it has re-evaluated the client continuation of the company, according to the filing.
Awards and Recognition
9.Ashok Leyland Ltd. (ALL), the flagship company of the Hinduja Group, has made toplevel management changes.
- These organisational changes are also in line with the company’s plans to shape the future growth strategies of the company and its portfolio of investments.
- Gopal Mahadevan, who was recently appointed as wholetime director in addition to his current role as chief financial officer and president, customer solutions business, will also be responsible for information technology, corporate strategy and business analytics.
- Anuj Kathuria has been appointed as chief operating officer and will be responsible for medium and heavy commercial vehicle business.
- Nitin Seth has been named chief operating officer and will be responsible for light commercial vehicles, defence, international operations and power solutions business.
- N. Saravanan, who was recently appointed as chief technology officer, will also be responsible for the electric vehicles business, according to the company
10.The International Day of Yoga is observed on 21st June every year, aims to raise awareness worldwide of the many benefits of practicing yoga.
- The theme of the 5th International Yoga Day 2019 is "Climate Action". In United Nation, it will be celebrated a day before that is on 20 June, 2019 with 'Yoga with Gurus' and followed by a panel of discussion on 21 June.
- The theme of International Yoga Day 2018 was “Yoga for Peace”.
11.India’s ace cueist Pankaj Advani clinched the 35th men’s Asian snooker championship to complete a career grand slam in cue sports.
- Advani has now claimed the ACBS Asian snooker events — 6red (short format) and 15red (long format) — along with the IBSF World Championships in both formats.
- Having already accomplished it in billiards, Advani was missing the 15red Asian snooker trophy in his bulging trophy cabinet.
12.Qualifier Lakshmi Sahithi Reddy had a dream final finish as she beat fellow Qualifier Salsa Aher in the women’s final of the ₹200,000 AITA ranking tennis tournament
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information bureau website