Current Affairs 4th August
JITHIN LAL, Published On:04-Aug-2019
1.The Union Home Ministry has approved prosecution of over 400 terror suspects in the past three years, with the maximum number granted in June this year.
- An analysis of the sanction of prosecutions under UAPA bill between June 2016 and June 2019 shows an average of 11 sanctions every month.
2.The government is committed to modernization of armed forces and most of it will be done through ingenious developed weapons systems.
- Only when there is an urgent need will import be resorted to, said Union Defense Minister Rajnath Singh
3.The 10th Mekong Ganga Cooperation (MGC) Ministerial Meeting was held in Bangkok, Thailand.
- India was represented by External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar.
- During this meeting, new MGC Plan of Action 2019-2022 was adopted.
- Plan will create cooperation among the member countries in various areas including tourism and culture, public health and traditional medicine, agriculture and allied sectors, transport and communication, MSMEs and water resources management.
4.Girraj Prasad Gupta took over as Controller General of Accounts (CGA), Department of Expenditure, Union Ministry of Finance with effect from 1 August 2019. He is 1983-batch Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS) Officer.
- Controller General of Accounts (CGA) CGA is Principal Accounting Adviser to Government of India. It functions under the Department of Expenditure, Union of Finance. CGA heads the organisation and is responsible for administering this system. It is responsible for establishing and maintaining a technically sound Management Accounting System.
- CGA office prepares monthly as well as annual analysis of expenditures, revenues, borrowings and various fiscal indicators for Union Government. It prepares Annual Appropriation Accounts (Civil) and Union Finance Accounts which are submitted to Parliament under Article 150 of the Constitution. It is not a constitutional or statutory body.
5.Maharashtra became the first state in the country to adopt an Automated Multi-modal Biometric Identification System (AMBIS)
- This digital fingerprint and iris scanning system to help police investigations.
- This system will soon be replicated by police forces of other states in the country.
6.World Breastfeeding Week (WBW) is being observed throughout the world from 1-7 August 2019 in more than 120 countries
- Theme– Empower Parents, Enable Breastfeeding. Major Focus this year is on protection, promotion, and support of breastfeeding.
7.Assam :Work on Subansiri lower dam was stopped following protests
- Anti dam organisations in Assam have slammed the National Green Tribunal (NGT) for virtually paving the way for a mega dam that was left incomplete in 2011.
- The NGT had earlier this week dismissed petitions seeking reconstitution of a six member expert committee that they claimed was biased towards environment threatening big dams.
8.World’s First Intertidal Art Gallery Opened in Maldives
- The Intertidal art gallery called Coralarium is located at the Fairmont Maldives Sirru Fen Fushi resort.
- The Art Gallery showcases around 30 Sculptures acting as a habitat for coral and other marine species.
- It is Designed by British sculptor Jason deCaires Taylor.The frame of the gallery is made up of pH-neutral marine steel and designed to reflect the blue hues surrounding it.
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information Bureau website