1.Government announced some steps to curb the slowdown into the economy
- The government has come out to try to boost private sector with several measures announced by the Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman. And also announced that two more conferences will come to mark the slowdown into the economy.
- Surcharge on Foreign Portfolio Investors (FPIs) has been scrapped to “respects all wealth creator”
- CSR (Corporate social responsibility) rules, which if not followed by the private industry, could attract a jail term along with a fine will not be treated as offence now.
- The government also decided to infuse 70,000 crore Rs. of capital in public sector banks to improve their credit disbursal.
2. Women and child development Minister Smriti Zubin Irani announced POSHAN Abhiyan Awards
- Union Minister for Women and Child Development Smriti Irani has announced the Poshan Abhiyan Awards for 2018-19 in different categories in the capital city New Delhi.
- The awards were announced for the Blocks, Districts, States and Anganwadi Workers for their contributions to the Abhiyaan and to check that it reaches every household.
- Poshan Abhiyaan is a multi - ministerial convergence mission which focuses on a vision to address and battle malnutrition by 2022 across the country.
- 363 awards were distributed amounting to 22 crore rupees were given to the awardees.
3. NITI Aayog released its Report on the Composite Water Management Index
- Thirteen States and Union Territories in the country have improved their water management practices as compared to last year, according to the NITI Aayog’s report on the composite water Management Index.
- Gujarat, topped the rankings for the consecutive second year in a row by obtaining a score of 75 out of 100.
- Six States did not perform well in the report including Delhi obtaining the lowest score.
- Composite Water Management Index is a ranking tool developed by the NITI Aayog.
- The ‘index’ reveals that how well State has performed on surface water and groundwater restoration, by implementing irrigation projects, participatory irrigation management, watershed development, adequate water supply, and policy and governance.
4. First-ever World Youth Conference for Kindness held in the country
- The World Youth Conference for Kindness inaugurated by President Ram Nath Kovind and organised by the UNESCO, (MGIEP) Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi for the first time.
- The theme of the conference:- ‘Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam: Gandhi for the Contemporary World: Celebrating the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.’
5. Assam Chief Minister reviews law & order situation ahead of final publication of National Register of Citizens
- Sarbananda Sonowal, reviewed the law and order situation ahead of the final publication of National Register of Citizens (NRC) that will be published on 31st August into a meeting which was held with the Superintendents of Police (SPs) , Deputy Commissioners (DCs) and of all districts of the state in Guwahati.
6. Financial Action Task Force’s (FATF) group ‘blacklists’ Pakistan
- Pakistan has been placed in the “blacklist” of the Financial Action Task Force’s Asia Pacific Group (APG) for nonenforcement and noncompliance of safeguards against financing the terror activities and preventing money laundering.
- The APG, one of nine regional bodies which is a group attached to the FATF.
- FATF met was held in Canberra from August 18 to 23 to review a five year report of the Mutual Evaluation Report (MER) for Pakistan, and decided to place Pakistan among those countries which are required a proper followup and sends report to FATF.
7. China has announced new tariffs of worth 75bn$ on U.S. imports
- China’s State Council Tariff Commission Office has announced a move in retaliation that it will hit U.S. imports worth $75 billion with new tariffs. This will continue both countries' trade war.
- The tariffs of 5 to 10% will apply on total 5,078 items, including crude oil and small aircraft, agricultural products such as soybeans, importing from the U.S. with effect of September.1.2019 and December.15.2019.
- Beijing, the capital has also announced that it will also reimpose a 5% tariff on auto parts, and 25% tariff on U.S. automobiles.
8. Angel tax relief brings relief to startups
- Finance Minister has provided the relief for the startup businesses by announcing that angel tax will not be applicable on new entities which are registered with the (DPIIT) Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade.
- And it will help in Fast Tracking the refunds from GST within 30 days.
- And announcement of building a dedicated cell to address and resolve tax problems with easing the business environment.
9. (WADA) World Anti Doping Agency suspends NDTL accreditation
- The (WADA) World Anti Doping Agency has suspended the National Dope Testing Laboratory’s (NDTL) accreditation for a period of six months because of nonconformities with the (ISL) International Standard for Laboratories.
- The drawbacks related to the laboratory’s isotope ratio mass spectrometry analytical method was regulated by the relevant technical document, were identified by WADA.
10. Earth to FEDOR: Russia launches humanoid robot into space
- A Russian humanoid robot was launched by Russia from International Space Station after completed a two-week mission for the purpose of supporting the crew and testing his skills. The humanoid is named as FEDOR.
- The Skybot F-850 is the first humanoid robot sent to space by Russia.
- NASA sent humanoid robot Robonaut 2 to space in 2011 to work in a dangerous environment.
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information Bureau website