Current Affairs 10th September
JITHIN LAL, Published On:10-Sep-2019
1. State Judicial Academy of Jammu & Kashmir said that J&K and Ladakh will become two separate Union territories (UTs) from 31 October but it will have a common high court.
- This order was issued by the State Judicial Academy's Director Rajeev Gupta. It also declared that the 108 Central Laws would be applicable for the two UTs whereas 164 state laws would be repealed and 166 state laws can still be applicable. Legislative Assembly will be formed in J&K as UT.
- There will be no legislative Assembly in the Union Territory of Ladakh and hence it will be directly controlled by the Central government. Also, the existing law and procedure for practice in high court will be the same.
2. Mumbai ranks 5th and New Delhi 11th in the 2019 Knight Frank Co-Living IndexKnight Frank India, the leading international property consultancy launched a report titled Insights on Co-living An Asia-Pacific Perspective.
- As per the report, China’s co-living sector is one of the most developed having started since the early 2010s, Beijing is ranked 1st in the Co-living Index followed by Tokyo and Shanghai.Mumbai is ranked 5th in Knight Frank India's co-living Index.
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi raised India’s target for restoring degraded land from its earlier target of 21 million hectares (MH) to 26 million hectares (MH) by 2030.
- The announcement was made by PM Modi while speaking at the high-level segment at the 14th session of the Conference of Parties (COP) to the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD).UNCCD COP-14 is being hosted by India this time and as many as 196 countries, 70 environment ministers and over 8,000 delegates from across the globe are participating in the 12-day conference from September 2 to September 13 being held at Greater Noida. Agenda of UN conference is to reverse the degradation of land and fix critical gaps in its management.
4. Recipients of Visitor’s Awards 2019 for research in various fields were announced by President’s Secretariat.
- The award will be conferred by President Secretariat. The award will be conferred by President Ram Nath Kovind at an event to be held at Rashtrapati Bhavan the date for which is yet to be announced.Visitor’s Awards 2019 The Awards will be presented for Research in- Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences, Technology Development
5. Parties meet EC over the loss of national statusThe Election Commission met representatives of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), the Trinamool Congress and the Communist Party of India (CPI). hearing their arguments on why their status as national parties should not be revoked.
- “As per the current rules performance in two consecutive general elections are to be counted. The EC sent us a notice based on 2014 and 2019 results. But we got the national status only in 2016 so how can they count 2014 elections?”
6. A judgment may be right or wrong, but higher court judges cannot indulge in passing scathing remarks about trial judges merely because they do not agree with their point of view, the Supreme Court has cautioned the High Courts.
- The judgment may be right or wrong, but the higher courts should not pass conflicting remarks against the presiding officer of the lower courts only because they do not agree with the view of the trial court.
7. Tamil Nadu has the lowest consumption of iodized salt despite being the third biggest producer of salt in the country, according to a firstofitskind national survey to measure the coverage of iodized salt.
- The study shows that 76.3% of Indian households consumed adequately iodized salt, which is salt with at least 15 parts per million of iodine. The five worst performers were Tamil Nadu (61.9%), Andhra Pradesh (63.9%), Rajasthan (65.5%),Odisha (65.8%) and Jharkhand (68.8%). The survey was conducted by Nutrition International in collaboration with the All India Institute of Medical Sciences andthe Indian Coalition for the Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders (ICCIDD).
8. World Suicide Prevention Day 2019 is observed on 10 September every year. The day aims to raise awareness of the risks of suicide and to fund suicide prevention activities. It also aims to provide worldwide commitment and action to prevent suicides.The theme for the World Suicide Prevention Day 2019 is Working Together to Prevent Suicide.
- The theme aims to encourage and engage with each other and to spread awareness of suicide prevention. Over 800,000 people, which is a death every 40 seconds or about 3,000 every day, die by suicide.
9. Spain's Rafael Nadal has won his fourth US Open title and 19th major championship with a 7-5, 6-3, 5-7, 4-6, 6-4 win over Russia's Daniil Medvedev after four hours and 50 minutes
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information Bureau website