Current Affairs 14th September
JITHIN LAL , Published On:14-Sep-2019
1.The Defense Ministry of India announced a joint military exercise between India and Thailand as MAITREE 2019. The exercise is aimed to share the experience that are gained to counter-terrorism operations. The exercise will be conducted at Foreign coaching Node of Umroi in Meghalaya from 16 September to 29 September of 2019.
- About 100 Indians and Royal Thailand army RTA soldiers will participate in this joint ministry exercise. MAITREE 2019 is the third army engagement between India-Thailand. The counter operations exercise would be held in urban areas or in the jungle.
2.Russia has terminated the robot called Fedor which was sent to the International Space Station (ISS). The robot was sent to assist the astronauts on spacewalks. But Fedor could not replace astronauts on spacewalks.
- Fedor:Final Experimental Demonstration Object Research (Fedor), the humanoid machine, was built to assist space station astronauts. Fedor is a 180 cm and 160 Kg humanoid robot that was sent in a unmanned Soyuz MS-14 vehicle.
3. Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region said that the Railway link service between the Agartala-Akhaura in Bangladesh will be completed by 2020 for Development of Northeastern Region (DoNER).
- The declaration was announced during the meeting by the Minister of DoNER Dr. Jitendra Singh and senior officers of the Ministry which was held on 12 September in Delhi.
- The Bangladesh railway link project is funded by the Ministry of DoNER. The cost allocated for the project is Rs 972.52 crores. The project can link Agartala with Bangladesh Railway Network at Akhaura. It will cut the traveling time period for passenger and goods movement from Kolkata to Agartala of 38 hours to 15 hours. Maitree categorical is already running between Kolkata and Dhaka which is now extended to Agartala.
4. Four US Senators has written to President Donald Trump urging him “to immediately facilitate an end to the current humanitarian problem ,” in Kashmir (Valley), while also asking Pakistan to end its support for terrorist groups and “stopping from taking any steps that could further destabilize Kashmir.”
- The lawmakers asked Trump to talk Indian Prime Minister to restore telecommunications and internet services & to lift the lockdown and curfew,
5.The Supreme Court said the nation has still not endeavored to secure for its citizens a Uniform Civil Code.
- The government has till date taken no action, a Bench of Justices Deepak Gupta and Aniruddha Bose observed in a judgment justice Gupta, who wrote the 31 page judgment,said the founders of the Constitution had expressed their hope that one day the State would fulfilll expectations of a Uniform Civil Code.
6 Indian Army’s T72 and T90 tanks worth around₹2,000 crores has been given approval by Defense Acquisition council for indigenous development .
- It would enhance the enemy Armour penetration capability.
7. NASA has created a CGI Moon kit that will allow humanity to experience their closest galactic neighbor as never before. Using data and imagery from NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) the CGI Moon kit was created. The aim of the CGI Moon kit is to make NASA’s data more accessible to 3-D artists.
- CGI Moon kit was created by Ernie Wright is a science visualizer. He works at the Scientific Visualization Studio at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt.
8. Bharat Heavy Electrical Limited (BHEL) India’s largest power equipment manufacturer announced it has commissioned a 1,320 Megawatt (Mw) power plant in Odisha.
- The IB Thermal Power Station with two units of 660 Megawatt capacity each is owned by Odisha Power Generation Corporation Limited (OPGC) a joint venture between the state government and US-based AES.BHEL supplied sets are contributing 100 per cent of the coal-based power stations installed by OPGC.A substantial portion of power generated will be supplied to the Grid Corporation of Odisha (GRIDCO).
9. The US has topped as the world's top oil exporter.
- The country defeated Saudi Arabia and Russia. According to the International Energy Agency (IEA), in June, the US exports of crude topped 3 million barrels per day. This pushed its total oil exports to nearly 9 million barrels per day. This has proved the US with a new status as one of the world's most influential energy producers.
10.Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju congratulated Indian contingent for excellent performance in the 10th Asian Pacific Youth Games in Vladivostok.
- India won a total of 16 gold, 13 silver and 5 bronze medals in seven different sports.
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information Bureau website