Current Affairs of 4th November
Pankaj Vishwakarma, Published On:04-Nov-2019
1.Pacts for Cooperation finalised between India’s ports & Thailand’s Ranong port :
- India is closer to access strategic gateway to SouthEast Asia . It finalised a pact for cooperation between India’s Kolkata, Chennai & Visakhapatnam ports with Thailand’s Ranong port.
- It is planned as a logistic gateway between India & Thailand. With this plan, sea travel time between India & Thailand will be reduced to 7 days instead of 10 to 15 days earlier.
- In present scenario, cargo ships from Krishnapatnam port travels to Len Chabang port in Chon Buri & Bangkok port in Bangkok via Malaysia.
- Connecting to Ranong port is a direct connectivity between India’s east coast & Thailand’s west coast.
- It is a boost to Act East policy & a complement to Thailand’s Look West Policy.
- It will also saves the transportation cost i.e. fuel & helps in reducing crude oil dependency.
2.Sri Satya Pal Malik has taken oath as the new Governor of Goa :
- Sri Satya Pal Malik has taken oath as the new Governor of Goa on Sunday i.e. 3rd November 2019.
- Oath was administered by Bombay High Court Chief Justice Pradeep Nandrajog at Raj Bhavan at Dona Paula -Goa on Sunday.
- He was appointed on 25th October 2019 by President Ram Nath Kovind .
- Before this appointment , he was the Governor of erstwhile state of Jammu & Kashmir. Now J&K becomes split into two Union Territories of J&K & Ladakh.
- Article 155 of the Constitution of India states that there should be a Governor of state appointed by the President under his warrant & seal.
3. 500 Passenger trains of South Central Railway to get ISRO enabled GPS:
- 500 Passenger trains of South Central Railway to get ISRO enabled GPS .
- These trains are fitted with Realtime Train Information System (RTIS) , which will monitor speed & movement of the trains from starting point to the destination.
- RTIS is developed by Centre for Railway Information Systems (CIRE) with the help of ISRO.
- SCR is headquartered at Secunderabad - Telangana.
- SCR has installed these RTIS for internal observation & later plans to give these datas to passengers & to also installed in freight carrying locomotives also.
- Bharat Electronics Limited has got this contract to install 2835 devices.
4. RCEP deals could be signed probably by February 2020 :
- Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) if signed & implemented can be the world’s largest trade bloc.
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi is in Bangkok for 16th ASEAN summit in Bangkok-Thailand.
- In 16th ASEAN summit in Bangkok in Thailand.
- RCEP is a comprehensive free trade agreement being negotiated between the 10 ASEAN Member States and ASEAN's free trade agreement partners Australia, China, India, Japan, Korea and New Zealand.
- RCEP negotiations formally started in November 2012.
5. First India-Uzbekistan joint exercise ‘Dustlik 2019’ :
- India’s Defence Minister Mr. Rajnath Singh visited Uzbekistan . This was the first visit of any Indian defence minister in the last 15 years.
- India Uzbekistan joint signed deals in Military, Medicines, Education & Training .
- First India Uzbekistan Joint Exercise, “Dustlik 2019 , jointly presided over by India’s defence minister & Uzbekistan’s counterpart Major General Bakhodir Nizamovich Kurbanov. This bilateral exercise will be conducted from 4th Nov to 13th Nov at Chichiq training area nearby Tashkant.
- India has also offered a concessional line of credit of $40 million to help Uzbekistan for procurement of goods and services from India .
6. PM Narendra Modi meet Japan’s PM’s Shinzo Abe at Bangkok today :
- PM Narendra Modi meet Japan’s PM Shinzo Abe at Bangkok today. He meet there on the sidelines of East Asia Summit in Bangkok.
- Their discussions is mainly focussed on to prepare grounds for India-Japan 2+2 Dialogue & Annual Summit to be held later this year.
- PM is in Bangkok to participate in East Asia Summit & RCEP. PM will steered India’s negotiations at the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership RCEP.
- RCEP negotiations began in Cambodia in 2012 which covers areas like including trade in goods and services, investment, market access, economic cooperation, intellectual property and e-commerce.
- These two countries will hold their first Foreign and Defence Ministerial Dialogue (2+2) ahead of the Japan-India annual summit this year for “advancing cooperation towards peace and prosperity of the Indo-Pacific region.
- Besides meeting with Japan’s PM , he will also meet Vietnam PM Nguyen Xuan Phuc and Australian PM Scott Morrison in Bangkok.
7. NITI Ayog has suggested to install Air Purifiers at public places :
- NITI Ayog has prepared a report titled’ Strategy to curb air pollution in Delhi NCR’’ in coordination with international experts.
- This report says that pollution level in Delhi is 20 times higher than WHO recommendation.
- It has also suggested to the Ministry of Environment , Forest & Climate change to create a Special Purpose Vehicle under section 8 of the Companies Act 2013.
- NITI Ayog suggested companies to produce best quality air purifiers to be installed at public places like bus stop, railway stations , airports, major markets & other public places.
- Report also suggested to focus on areas like dust from roads, construction , biomass, transportation & municipal solid waste. To control dust it suggested to use water & fog cannons.
- It also suggested to complete elimination of Diesel Generator sets & use of Gas powered generator sets.
8. Odd-even schemes to restart in Delhi from today i.e. 4th to 14th November 2019 :
- Odd-even schemes to restart in Delhi from today i.e. 4th to 14th November 2019 from 8AM TO 8 PM from Monday to Saturday to combat air pollution in the city. It was introduced in 2016 by the Delhi Government.
- 200 traffic points has been identified for close loop implementation of this scheme.
- This is the third time this scheme is implemented in capital.
- It allows vehicles registration numbers ending with even numbers to ply on even days & vehicles registration numbers ending with odd numbers to ply on odd days. Same process is also applicable to vehicles plying with other states as well.
- Two wheelers are exempted while CNG vehicles are not exempted while, earlier CNG vehicles were exempted from the same.
- School buses having school children in school dresses & woman only vehicles having children upto 12 years age are also exempted.
- As per Delhi’s Govt claim Delhi’s pollution is down by 25% , while this smoke is coming from stubble burning from neighbouring states.
9. Meeting to review preparedness for cyclone MAHA :
- A cyclone over Gujarat, Maharashtra and Daman & Diu is expected to reach & intensify here on 5th November morning.
- This cyclone is named as MAHA.
- It is currently located at Central Arabian sea & moving west & north westwards.
- Heavy rainfall with heavy winds upto 100 kmph & tidal waves upto 1.5 mtr is expected . It will start weakening from 6th November night & early morning of 7th November.
- Meeting with the National Crisis Management Committee (NCMC), chaired by the Cabinet Secretary, Shri Rajiv Gauba, held today to review the preparedness for the cyclone.
- Cyclones which originates from Bay of Bengal & Arabian sea are named by eight member countries of WMO (World Meteorological Organisation) established in 1950 headquartered at Geneva- Switzerland.
- WMO/ESCAP is an inter-governmental regional body jointly established by WMO & United Nation. (United Nation Economic & Social Commission for Asia Pacific) Panel on Tropical Cyclones established in 1972. India becomes a member since then.
10. 35th National junior athletics at Acharya Nagarjuna University -Andhra Pradesh:
- Ritik Malik (Delhi), Shaili Singh (Karnataka), Chanda (Delhi) and Nivya Antony (Kerala) set new National records in the boys’ under18 100m, girls’ under16 long jump, girls’ under20 1500m and girls’ under20 pole vault events respectively on day two of the campus of Acharya Nagarjuna University-Guntur on Sunday.
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information Bureau website