Current Affairs of 5th November
Pankaj Vishwakarma, Published On:05-Nov-2019
1. Sudden withdrawal of India from RCEP Negotiations :
- India has suddenly withdrawn itself from RCEP (Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnerships) negotiations after carrying out seven-year-long negotiations since November 2012 carrying 28 rounds of negotiations since then.
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has withdrawn from RCEP negotiations yesterday at Bangkok citing that this negotiation will harm farmers, MSMEs, dairy sectors & workers.
- RCEP is a 16 nations led negotiations led by 10 ASEAN & their 6 Free Trade agreement partners including India.
- RCEP requires to gradually reduced & subsequent elimination of tariffs.
- This elimination of tariffs may flood Indian markets by Chinese goods, agricultural products from Australia & neighboring countries (Oceania regions) which will eventually harm Indian farmers, dairy industry & workers.
- Except for India, all other nations are ready to sign the negotiations which will be done probably in February 2020.
- India may join the RCEP if the above points are resolved.
2.Supreme Court strictly warns state Governments of Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh against stubble burning :
- To save the national capital from air pollution, which is spreading majorly due to stubble burning along with other factors.
- Supreme court said that the State Government administration, police administration to the chief secretaries of Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh are responsible for stubble burning.
- Supreme Court said that state Govt are responsible for monitoring even a single instance of stubble burning.
- The court said that ‘polluter pays principle’ applies to state & all the local bodies of these states.
- Court has also banned the use of Diesel generators in the Delhi NCR region for the time being.
3.Gian Chand Gupta elected as the new speaker of the Haryana Asembly :
- Sri Gian Chand Gupta a BJP MLA is elected as the new speaker of the Haryana Assembly.
- He is an MLA from Panchkula assembly.
- His name was proposed by Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar & Deputy CM Dushyant Chautala.
- The oath was administered by protem speaker Sri Raghubir Singh Kadian.
- Protem Speaker - Protem speaker is elected from the list of senior Lok Sabha members. He is elected after the general election & the formation of a new Government.
- He is responsible to administer the oath to all the newly elected ministers . He is chosen by Lok Sabha members & Legislative assembly in case of state assemblies.
4.ARLS- ‘Agreement on Reciprocal Logistic Support’ is expected to be signed between India & Russia :
- It is a mutual logistic agreement between India & Russia to manufacture spares for Russian Defence platforms in India.
- India’s defence minister Shri Rajnath Singh is on a visit to Moscow from Novcember 5 to 7th November.
- Sri Rajnath Singh will co-chair the 19th India-Russia InterGovernmental Commission on Military and Military-Technical Cooperation.
- Russian defence minister General Sergei Shoigu will also co-chair .
- Logistics agreements are a type of administrative arrangements which facilitates access to military facilities for exchange of fuel and provisions on mutual agreement, which eventually simplify logistical support and also increases operational turnaround of the military when it is away from India.
5.India International Science Festival 2019 :
- India International Science Festival 2019 will be held at Kolkata from 5th to 8th November 2019.
- Among others, almost 700 women scientists & entrepreneurs will also participate in this event.
- IISF is launched in 2015 to promote science & technology .
- It is organised by the Ministry of Science & Technology & Ministry of Earth & Sciences in association with Vijnana Bharati (VIBHA) .
- Vibha is a non profit organisation who work for popularization of science led by Prof. K.I. Vasu of IISc Bangalore.
6.11th edition of DefExpo to be held in Lucknow from 5-8 Feb 2020 :
- This is the first time Lucknow will host DefExpo from 5-8 Feb 2020 which is an opportunity to showcase defense equipment.
- The theme of Defexpo 2020 is ‘’India: The emerging defence manufacturing hub’ & focus will be on ‘’Digital Transformation of defence’’
- India is also looking for mutually beneficial partnerships with friendly nations to set up industries in India.
- India is aiming for US$ 26 billion turnovers in aerospace & defense technologies by 2025.
- Defense industrial corridor is already planned in UP & Tamil Nadu.
7.India proposes ‘Indo-Pacific Oceans initiative to conserve & sustainably use the maritime domain’ at ‘East Asia Summit’ :
- In view of greater participation & playing important role in Indo-Pacific region, India has proposed an ‘Indo-Pacific Oceans initiative to conserve & sustainably use the maritime domain’ at Quadrilateral meeting on the sidelines of ‘East Asia Summit’ in Bangkok.
- The US has already praised India for its important role in the Indo-Pacific region during Quad meet.
- This proposal focuses on enhancing maritime security & sustainably preserve & use maritime resources.
8. Wastelands Atlas – 2019 :
- Indian Union Minister for Rural Development, Agriculture and Farmers Welfare & Panchayati Raj, Shri Narendra Singh Tomar has released the Wastelands Atlas – 2019.
- This Atlas will assist in revert back wastelands for useful & productive use by implementing various land development programs.
- Department of Land Resources in collaboration with National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC), Department of Space has already published Wastelands Atlas of India having- 2000, 2005, 2010 & 2011 editions.
- These data is carried out by NRSC using the Indian Remote Sensing Satellite data.
- This is the 5th edition of Wastelands Atlas – 2019.
- India is having only 2.4% of total land area & it is supporting 18% of the World’s population.
- This Atlas provides district and state wise distribution of different categories of wastelands area.
- Asper this report, there is a positive change in the states of Rajasthan (0.48 Mha), Bihar (0.11 Mha), Uttar Pradesh (0.10 Mha), Andhra Pradesh (0.08 Mha), Mizoram (0.057 Mha), Madhya Pradesh (0.039 Mha), Jammu & Kashmir (0.038 Mha) and West Bengal (0.032 Mha).
9. President addressed 26th Convocation of North Eastern Hill University (NEHU)- Shillong :
- President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, addressed the 26th convocation of the North Eastern Hill University (NEHU) in Shillong, Meghalaya.
- President in his speech said that more than 80 per cent population of Meghalaya is still dependent on agriculture. Thus by helping improve agricultural productivity, NEHU can play an important role in promoting socio-economic development of Meghalaya and the North-East.
10. 5th Global Exhibition on Services (GES) in New Delhi :.
- India’s Union Minister of Commerce and Industry & Railways, Piyush Goyal, will launch 5th Global Exhibition on Services (GES) in New Delhi today & it will be held in Bengaluru from 26th – 28th November 2019.
- GES is organised by Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce and Industry in partnership with Services Export Promotion Council and the Confederation of Indian Industry.
- GES will enhance the strength of India's service sectors by implementation of focused and monitored Action Plans.
- Ministry of Commerce and Industry created ‘India Services ‘ brand to represent the services sector.
11. ICEDASH & ATITHI launched by Finance Ministry for improved monitoring and pace of Customs clearance of imported goods and also to facilitate arriving international passengers :
- ICEDASH : It is an Ease of Doing Business monitoring dashboard of the Indian Customs helping to help public see the daily Customs clearance times of import cargo.
- ATITHI : It is an easy to use mobile app which will help international travellers to file customs declaration in advance.
- These are launched by Finance minister Smt Nirmala Sitharaman .
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information Bureau website