1. ‘International Conference on Yoga’ at Mysuru :
- Chief Minister of Karnataka Shri B.S. Yediyurappa will inaugurate the two day conference on 15th November, 2019.
- International Conference on Yoga will be held on 15-16 November 2019 at Mysuru.
- The theme of the conference is ‘Yoga for Heart Care’.
- This conference is the fifth in the series to commemorate the adoption of Resolution by the United Nations General Assembly during its 69th Session for observing 21st June as International Day of Yoga.
2. Indo-Uzbekistan Joint Field Training Exercise (FTX)-2019 ‘Dustlik 2019 :
- Exercise DUSTLIK-2019 which concluded on 13 November 2019 after 10 days of joint training with Uzbekistan Army .
- This was a Joint Field Training Exercise (FTX)-2019 named as ‘Dustlik 2019 .
- This exercise began on 04 November 2019 & the training was focused on counter insurgency and counter terrorism operations in urban scenario .
3. Closing Ceremony of Indo-French Joint Training Exercise ‘Shakti- 2019’:
- The closing ceremony of the joint military exercise between Indian and French Army, Exercise 'SHAKTI-2019’ was held at Mahajan Field Firing Range on 13 November 2019.
- Major outcome is to achieve interoperability, to acquaint each other with operational procedures, combat drills .
- This exercise also included newly inducted ‘RUDRA’ helicopter, which is a weaponized version of the Advanced Light Helicopter 'Dhruv' produced indigenously by India.
4. Workshop organised by DRDO increase synergy with Academia in Defence R&D:
- ‘DRDO-Academia Interaction for Achieving Leadership in Future Technologies’ organized to leverage the academic expertise.
- This will also increase the synergy with Academia.
- Scientific and Technological Excellence is associated with National Pride and stressed that sustained efforts are required for utilising academic expertise for futuristic defence applications.
5. Prakash Javadekar takes Charge as the Minister of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises :
- Shri Prakash Javadekar, assumed office as of the Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises on 13th November 2019.
- Shri Javadekar also holds information & broadcasting, and environment, forest and climate change portfolios.
6. Sashakt Divyang Event- an exclusive Job Fair for PWD :
- Sashakt Divyang- A Unique event & exclusive Job Fair for Persons with Disabilities (PwDs).
- This event organised by Ladli Foundation Trust.
- This event organised to provide suitable jobs to Divyangjans with an aim to provide equal opportunities and employment to them by envisaging and integrating the idea of equality within the society.
- Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities Act (DePWD) empowers all Divyangjan nationwide as the categories of Disabilities for Divyangjan has been increased from 7 to 21 categories & thus broadening their scope.
7. The office of CJI of India under RTI Act :
- Five judges Constitution Bench led by Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi declared on 13th November 2019 that the office of the Chief Justice of India (CJI) will come under the purview of RTI Act.
- Supreme Court is a ‘public authority’ & so is the office of CJI . Since, CJI is a part and parcel of the institution. So, CJI will also come under RTI Act.
- He also said that increased transparency under RTI is not a threat to judicial independence.
- The right to know under RTI is not absolute means it has to be balanced with the right to privacy of individual judges.
8. Retail inflation climbs to a 16 month high at 4.62% :
- Retail inflation climbed to 4.62% which is 16 month high, driven by food inflation.
- This level is the highest level since August 2016.
- Consumer Price Index (CPI) also grew sharply in October from 3.99% in September, which itself was the highest reading in 14 months.
- This inflation rate is mainly due to the spurt in demand because of the festive season in October and partly the impact of scarcity of the monsoon in few areas .
9. ‘Infants will bear the greatest burden of malnutrition and rising food prices’ says Lancet report :
- ‘Infants will bear the greatest burden of malnutrition and rising food prices’ as per Lancet Report.
- Unless the world meet target limit of 2 deg cel temp rise , Climate change will be damaging the health of the world’s children and is set to endanger the wellbeing of an entire generation.
- Lancet report on Health and Climate Change is a comprehensive annual analysis tracking progress.
- This project is a collaboration between 120 experts from 35 institutions, including the World Health Organisation, the World Bank, University College London, and Tsinghua University in Beijing.
- Average yield potential of maize and rice has declined by 2% in India since the 1960s.
- Malnutrition already responsible for two thirds of the deaths of children under five years.
- As per report , public health gains that we have achieved in the last 50 years could soon be reversed by the changing climate.
10. 14th November- Children's day :
- Children's Day was celebrated on 20th November in India upto 1964.
- 20th November is observed as the Universal Children's Day by the United Nations.
- When former PM Jawaharlal Nehru in died in 1964, India decided to commemorate his birth anniversary on Bal Diwas to show respect towards his love and affection with children.
- United Nations still celebrates Universal Children’s Day on 20th November across the world every year.
Sources : The Hindu, The Indian Express, The Economic Times, The Times of India, Press Information Bureau Website