Current Affairs of 16th November 2019
Pankaj Vishwakarma, Updated On:16-Nov-2019
1. ‘8th International Conference on Agricultural Statistics’ in New Delhi :
- Union Agriculture Minister Shri Narendra Singh Tomar will inaugurate the event ‘8th International Conference on Agricultural Statistics (ICAS-VIII)’ in New Delhi from 18th to 21st November 2019.
- Bill Gates will be the chief Guest of this event.
- This conference will be organised in collaboration with the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation, ISI-CAS, FAO, the USDA, ADB, World Bank, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Eurostat, AfDB .
- Theme of this year’s ICAS is ‘Statistics for Transformation of Agriculture to Achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)’.
- Aim of this event is to address various challenges faced in producing data to report on the SDGs and finalize the best practises in the field of agriculture statistics.
2. First ever International Buyer Seller meet on Agriculture & Horticulture’ in Arunachal Pradesh :
- Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) under the Department of Commerce of Ministry of Commerce and Industry held the first ever international buyer seller meet on ‘Agriculture & Horticulture produce’ in Arunachal Pradesh on 14th November 2019.
- Growers and exporters showcased the products of Arunachal Pradesh like Mandarin oranges, kiwi, pineapple, king chilly, large cardamom, organic products, other fresh fruits, vegetables, flowers and spices.
- This will promote export of agricultural products and to facilitate market linkages for agri- exports from the North Eastern Region (NER).
3. Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA) notified the ‘Insolvency and Bankruptcy (Insolvency and Liquidation Proceedings of Financial Service Providers and Application to Adjudicating Authority)’ Rules, 2019 :
- MCA has notified the Insolvency and Bankruptcy (Insolvency and Liquidation Proceedings of Financial Service Providers and Application to Adjudicating Authority) Rules, 2019 rules on 15th November 2019.
- This will provide a generic framework for insolvency and liquidation proceedings of systemically important Financial Service Providers (FSPs) other than banks.
- This rule will apply FSPs or categories of FSPs, as will be notified by the Central Government under section 227 from time to time in consultation with appropriate regulators.
- The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 (Code) provides a consolidated framework for reorganisation, insolvency resolution and liquidation of corporate persons, limited liability partnerships, partnership firms and individuals in a time-bound manner.
- Section 227 of the above code enables the Central Government to notify, in consultation with the financial sector regulators, financial service providers (FSPs) or categories of FSPs for the purpose of insolvency and liquidation proceedings.
4. 15 Days’ ‘Aadi Mahotsav 2019’ at Dilli Haat :
- Shri Amit Shah will inaugurate the National Tribal Festival ‘Aadi Mahotsav’ at Dilli Haat, INA on 16th November 2019.
- TRIFED an organisation of Ministry of Tribal Affairs has started a new concept of organising “Aadi Mahotsav – National Tribal Festival” to provide direct market access to the tribal master-craftsmen and women in large metros and State capitals.
- This event will feature exhibition-cum-sale of tribal handicrafts, art, paintings, fabric, jewellery and much more through about 210 stalls.
5. NITI Aayog to release the report ‘Health System for a New India: Building Blocks- Potential Pathways to Reform’ :
- NITI Aayog will release ‘Health System for a New India: BuildingBlocks - Potential Pathways to Reform’ report on 18 November 2019.
- This will be a synthesis of all the discussions and efforts initiated at the national-level workshop, Development Dialogue held last year.
- This report will be released by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Dr Rajiv Kumar in the presence of Bill Gates & representatives from national and international academia.
6. Conference of Directors of IITS, NITS and IIEST on November 19th:
- The conference of the Directors of IITs, NITs and IIEST will be held at Rashtrapati Bhavan on November 19th , 2019.
- It is a part of regular interactions of the President of India with such institutions in his capacity as visitor to 152 Central Universities and institutions .
- The agenda of the conference will include - deliberations on challenges / opportunities along broad parameters on which NIRF rankings are based; participation and contribution of alumni in activities of the institutes.
- The Directors of 23 IITs, 31 NITs and IIEST Shibpur along with Union Minister for Human Resource Development.
7. Book released ‘Savarkar- Echoes from a Forgotten Past’ of Dr. Vikram Sampath :
- Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu releases the book ‘Savarkar- Echoes from a Forgotten Past’ written by Dr. Vikram Sampath , Rajya Sabha Member.
- Veer Savarkar started most powerful social reform movements against untouchability.
- Savarkar also built Patit Pavan Mandir in Ratnagiri district to allow entry to all Hindus, including Dalits.
- He named the 1857 rebellion as the first war of independence.
8. Defence Minister inaugurates Sisseri River bridge connecting Dibang Valley and Siang in Arunachal Pradesh :
- Shri Rajnath Singh inaugurated the Sisseri River bridge at Lower Dibang Valley in Arunachal Pradesh.
- This 200-metre long bridge between Jonai-Pasighat-Ranaghat-Roing road will provide connectivity between Dibang Valley and Siang.
- This bridge will cut down the travel time from Pasighat to Roing by about five hours.
- The Sisseri River bridge provides connectivity to Tinsukia via Dhola-Sadiya bridge.
- It was constructed by Project Brahmank of Border Roads Organisation (BRO).
- This bridge is also strategically important from military view point and will be a part of Trans Arunachal Highway.
- Government has adopted the Border Area Development Programme (BADP) in keeping in view the security of the people residing in the border areas.
- There is also a proposed Bhalukpong – Tenga - Tawang railway line, operationalisation of Pasighat airport, nod to Hollongi airport and approval to construct Sela Pass tunnel project.
9. ‘Hunar Haat’ has proved to be “Empowerment Exchange” for Master Artisans and Craftsmen :
- Ministry of Minority Affairs inaugurates ‘Hunar Haat’ at 39th IITF.
- Union Minority Affairs Minister Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said that they are going to establish ‘Hunar Hubs’ in every state of the country in the next five years to train and encourage indigenous talent of master artisans, craftsmen.
- The Ministry has sanctioned 100 ‘Hunar Hubs’ in different parts of the country.
- Training will be provided to master artisans, craftsmen and traditional culinary experts according to modern needs in these ‘Hunar Hubs’.
10. Household Consumer Expenditure Survey :
- The National Statistical Office (NSO), Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation carried out an all-India survey on household consumption expenditure in its 75th round during the period of July 2017 to June 2018.
- Consumer Expenditure Survey (CES) is normally conducted at quinquennial intervals.
- CES was last conducted in the 68th round (July 2011 to June 2012).
- CES find out estimates of household Monthly Per Capita Consumer Expenditure (MPCE) and the distribution of households and persons over the MPCE classes.
- This survey is designed to collect information regarding expenditure on consumption of goods and services (food and non-food) consumed by households.
Sources; The Hindu, The Indian Express, The Economic Times, Press Information Bureau website