1. Gotabaya Rajapaksa wins presidential poll in Sri Lanka :
- Opposition candidate in Sri Lanka’s presidential election Shri Gotabaya Rajapaksa emerged winner on 17th November 2019.
- He secured 52.25 % of the mandate and marking the return of the Rajapaksa family to power.
- Mr. Rajapaksa will be sworn in as Sri Lanka’s seventh executive president on 18th November 2019 in the city of Anuradhapura.
2. Citizenship (Amendment) Bill :
- Citizenship (Amendment) Bill is proposed to be tabled this winter parliament session .
- This bill seeks to fasttrack the process of granting citizenship to non-Muslims who have allegedly fled due to religious persecution from Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan till December 31, 2014.
- More than 100 civil society and students’ organisations and political parties have lined up protests against the BJP’s move to reintroduce the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill during the winter session of Parliament.
3. ‘Rajya Sabha: The Journey since 1952’, A publication by Rajya Sabha to mark the 250th session which begins from 18th November 2019 :
- ‘Rajya Sabha: The Journey since 1952’- This is a publication brought by Rajya Sabha to mark the 250th session of the Upper House that begins from 18th November 2019.
- Rajya Sabha’s first sitting was on May 13th , 1952.
- Major landmarks of Rajya Sabha are :
- Rajya Sabha has worked beyond midnight on as many as nine occasions and till date its longest sitting was on December 17, 1981. In this session, House sat till 4.43 a.m. to discuss and clear Essential Services Maintenance Act (ESMA) so that normal life of people is not obstructed by strikes and shutdowns.
- Other beyond midnight sitting was 1981 sitting when the Upper House sat till 3.22 a.m. to debate the purchase of the Bofors gun in December 1986.
- The longest ever debate on any subject till date was on the government’s failure to provide adequate security to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi after his assassination by LTTE cadres for 12 hours 4 minutes.
- Babri Masjid demolition case was debated days after the incident from December 18 21, 1992, for 11 hours and 37 minutes.
- Rajya Sabha till date has 2,280 members including those who served more than one term out of that only 209 were women.
- Rajya Sabha passed 3817 bills in last 67 years .
4. Kerala on rapid track to eliminate TB by 2025 :
- 6th Joint Monitoring Mission ( JMM 2019) of the Union government and the World Health Organization on the Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme (RNTCP) has lauded Kerala for being right & fast track to achieve the target of TB elimination by 2025.
- 6th JMM, comprising 24 members, is visiting Kerala as part of the mid year assessment of India’s National Strategic Plan for TB Elimination 2017-25.
- As Kerala moves on to TB elimination, the State will now have to focus better on strengthening its diagnostic services and the training components..
5. 6th ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting-Plus (ADMM-Plus) :
- Shri Rajnath Singh is in Bangkok to attend the 6th ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting-Plus (ADMM-Plus) .
- The ADMM-Plus meeting will be held on 18th November 2019 in which Defence Ministers of ADMM-Plus countries will take part.
6. First Winter-Grade Diesel outlet for Ladakh :
- Shri Amit Shah launched the first Winter-Grade Diesel outlet for Ladakh region.
- This outlet help to address the problem faced by people due to loss of fluidity in Diesel fuel during extreme winter conditions.
- This winter grade diesel is produced by Panipat Refinery for the first time, which has a pour point of (minus) -33degree Celsius .
- It does not lose its fluidity function even in extreme winter weather unlike Normal grade of Diesel which exceedingly difficult to utilize.
7. ‘National Awards for Excellence in Journalism 2019' awarded on the occasion of National Press Day (16th November 2019) :
- On the occasion of National Press Day, the Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu awarded the winners of ‘National Awards for Excellence in Journalism 2019' at New Delhi.
- National Press Day is celebrated every year on 16th November.
- Various journalists in different areas were honoured for their outstanding and exemplary work in journalism at an event organized by the Press Council of India.
- After the publication of The Bengal Gazette’ by James Augustus Hickey in 1780, the press has been playing an outstanding role in empowering the people.
8. ‘National Agrochemicals Congress’ concluded:
- ‘National Agrochemicals Congress’ concluded with recommendations for safe and judicious pesticide use in the country.
- It was concluded on Issues and Concerns of Agrochemicals for sustainable farming.
- This was the first ever National Agrochemicals Congress and this will hereafter be conducted in three years.
- The Congress is conducted in view of the role chemical pesticides still continue to play in pest management as more and more target specific and environment friendly products are being introduced
9. Water Quality Report for State Capitals & Delhi analysed by BIS :
- Union Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution Shri Ram Vilas Paswan has always exhorted providing quality products to consumers which includes providing clean & safe drinking water for all.
- This is also in line with Jal Jeevan Mission, announced by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi which aims to provide tap water to all households by 2024.
- Department of Consumer Affairs decided to undertake a study through the Bureau of India Standards (BIS) on the quality of piped drinking water being supplied in the country and also rank the States, Smart Cities and even Districts based on the quality of tap water.
10. ‘6th National Summit on Good, Replicable Practices and Innovations in Public Health Care Systems’ :
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan inaugurates 6th National Summit on Good, Replicable Practices and Innovations in Public Health Care Systems.
- This summit acts as the ground of new ideas, thoughts and expression.
- This summit highlighted the achievements in the health sector during the past few years such as Ayushman Bharat, NHP 2017, Medical Education, and strengthening of Health Systems.
- Summit also launches SAANS campaign i.e. ‘Social Awareness and Action to Neutralise Pneumonia Successfully’
Sources : The Hindu, The Indian Express, The Economic Times, Press Information Bureau Website