Current Affairs of 20th November 2019
Pankaj Vishwakarma, Updated On:20-Nov-2019
1. 2019 World Conference on Access to Medical Products Achieving the SDGs 2030 :
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare inaugurated three day event ‘2019 World Conference on Access to Medical Products Achieving the SDGs 2030’ on 19th November 2019 at New Delhi.
- SDG 3 includes Universal Health Coverage (UHC) as per Sustainable Development Goals agenda 2030 set by UN General Assembly in 2015.
- The main objective of this event is to track the 2018 World Conference on Access to Medical Products.
- This event is also attended by the WHO Director General -Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
2. Census 2021 will be conducted in 16 languages :
- Census 2021 will be conducted in 16 languages using a mobile app .
- This mobile app will be provided to the state listed enumerators while , paper mode enumeration can also be done.
- Census will be conducted in two phases :
- 1st Phase- House listing & Housing census - will be done from April to September 2020.
- 2nd Phase- Population Enumeration - will be done during February 9th to 28th 2021.
3. ISA-Steel Conclave 2019 :
- Indian Steel Association jointly with Ministry of Steel is organising ISA-Steel Conclave 2019 from November 21st-22nd November 2019 at New Delhi.
- Union minister of steel, Shri Dharmenra Pradhan will be the chief guest of this event.
- India became the world's second largest crude steel producer (106MT) in 2018.
- India is the 3rd largest consumer of finished steel goods (96MT)in 2018.
- Steel industry contributes 2% of GDP employing 25 Lacs persons.
- India is the 4th largest producer of iron ore.
- India became the second largest producer & importer of coal after China.
- Currently, India’s 55% electricity is generated from coal, 35% from renewable energy, 2% from nuclear power & 8% from hydropower.
- National Steel policy 2017 having a target of 300 MT to be achieved by 2030-31 against present capacity of 138 MT.
4. 2nd South Asia Safety Summit at New Delhi :
- Smt. Smriti Irani, Minister for Women, child development & Textile attended ‘2nd South Asia Safety Summit’ in New Delhi on 19th November 2019.
- The summit was organised by Ministry of Women & Child Care & Facebook.
- She also launched ‘We Think Digital’ website which is an online education portal & interactive tutorials for the students to efficiently use digital technologies in education.
5. National Intelligence Grid (NATGRID) plans to be operational by 31st Dec 2020 :
- National Intelligence Grid (NATGRID) is an online database project started in 2009, to collect all the scattered pieces of information on one secure platform which will be accessed by nearly 10 central agencies such as Research & Analysis Wing (RAW) , Intelligence Bureau among others.
- Database is provided by 21 agencies ranging from income tax, immigration department, local bodies, telecom companies, banking & others.
- NATGRID data centre is already constructed at Bangluru while its Head Quarter at South Delhi is nearly completed.
- Database will help national security & intelligence agencies to access detailed information like immigration entry & exit, bank information, phone details, income details, tax details all at a common platform.
- It has been alloted Rs. 84 Crore fund for this year.
6. Mission Sahasi :
- It's a self defence training exercise for girls .
- Mission Sahasi held at Visakhapatnam on 19th November 2019.
- It was held on the occasion of birth anniversary of Rani Lakshmi Bai.
7. Annual Report on Road Accidents 2018 :
- Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has issued a report ‘Annual Report on Road Accidents 2018.’
- This report shows that India is having 53 road crashes & 17 deaths per hour in 2018, which is a hike of 2.4% compared to last year.
- More than 1.5 Lacs of people lost their lives in road accident in 2018.
- As per Geneva based World Road Federation’s World Road Statistics 2018 report shows that India is among the most unsafe country in the world for road users among 199 countries.
- 48% of road crashes were between the age group of 18 to 35 years.
- 64.4% of the persons are killed due to over-speeding.
- 28.8% deaths were due to non-wearing of helmets only.
- Government immediately urges to implement New Motor Vehicles Amendment Act 2019 to the states which has not implemented yet.
8.Anti-lynching Bills :
- In July 2018 , Supreme Court has given a judgement & issued advisories to Union, State & Union Territories to curb issues of mob lynching in the country.
- In pursuance to this advisory ,Rajasthan & Manipur Assemblies has passed Anti -lynching bills .
- Governor has sent these bills for President’s approval.
- In these years, Government has also tried to make awareness among people & raising penalties to those who are circulating false news.
9. Pilot study of Zero Budget Natural Farming : at Pantnagar, Ludhiana, Modipuram & Kurukshetra :
- Govt is promoting Zero Budget Natural Farming under Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana (PKVY) .
- Under this scheme right from cultivation to cropping & growing to harvesting of crops is done with natural resources like biofertilizers, watershed management, water harvesting, natural waste management, chemical free farming etc without investing any money.
- Pilot study of Zero Budget Natural Farming is started at Pantnagar, Ludhiana, Modipuram & Kurukshetra for Basmati /Coarse Rice & wheat system .
- This pilot study is done by ICAR-Indian Council of Agricultural Research & Indian Institute of Farming System Research.
10. Farmers Club :
- Farmers Club is promoted by NABARD at the grass root level for development through credit, technology transfer, awareness & capacity building.
- Rural bank branches , NGOs & Krishi Viklas Kendras organized this event at ground level.
- These schemes are beneficial for government , banks, farmers & other stakeholders also.
- As on 31st October 2019, there are 24321 active Farmers club in India.
11. Jallianwala Bagh National Memorial Amendment Bill 2019 :
- Jallianwala Bagh National Memorial Amendment Bill 2019 passed by Parliament.
- This amendment changes the mandatory clause of being INC president as a permanent member of the trust.
- It also amends that now leader of opposition in Lok Sabha or the single largest party in opposition can be a member of the trust.
- It also amend that nominated trustee can be expelled before expiry of his term of 5 years by Central Government.
- In 2019, Jalliawalanm Bagh completed its 100th anniversary