Current Affairs of 9th December 2019
Pankaj Vishwakarma, Published On:09-Dec-2019
Join our Telegram Group
1. Mapathon Keralam project :
- Almost 10,130 offices has been mapped as an integral part of the ‘Mapathon Keralam project’.
- This is a crowdsourcing mapping initiative.
- Its aim is to create microlevel maps of Kerala to help in identifying its natural and physical assets.
- This project is a part of the Rebuild Kerala Initiative.
2. ‘Bird Walk’ Festival at Kumram Bheem in Telangana :
- Kumram Bheem, Asifabad district of Telangana is going to host the very first in the state a ‘Bird Walk’ Festival on 14th-15th Dec’2019.
- The sites where the festival will be organised are in Bejjur and Penchikalpet forests in Kagaznagar Division and in Tiryani forest.
- This festival will also be organised at picturesque Kumram Bheem Project Reservoir and the tank at Sirpur .
- Birds like Purple Heron & Long Billed vultures can be seen here.
3. CPCB strict on tyre pyrolysis units :
- CPCB has recently warned 270 tyre pyrolysis units in 19 States against the harmful effects of polluting technology.
- Pyrolysis is a technique in which tyres are broken down in the absence of oxygen.
- Shredded tyres at temperatures between 250 - 500 deg cel produces liquid oil and gases.
- Tyre pyrolysis technique is normally considered as a safer technique than burning .
- Pyrolysis leaves fine carbon, carbon pyrogas and oil as a residue .
- If these residues are not well managed will lead to health hazard.
- Australia & the U.K. are also sending their tyres waste in India for recycling and disposal.
- National Green Tribunal in 2014 , already prevented burning of used tyres in open & also banned the burning of tyres as a fuel in kiln .
4. Iran may use Russian funds to counter US sanctions :
- President of Iran, Hassan Rouhani announced a ‘budget of resistance’ to counter U.S. sanctions.
- This budget of resistance will target Iran’s vital oil sector & will be backed by a $5 billion investment from Russia.
- In 2015, Iran withdrawn from a nuclear deal between Iran and world powers .
- US imposed sanctions on Iran which includes oil exports aiming to squeeze it to zero export.
- Russia may provide an investment of $5 billion.
5. 54th DGsP/IGsP Conference in Pune :
- 54th DGsP/IGsP Conference was held in Pune on 7th-8th Dec’2019.
- PM Modi also awarded the President’s police medals for distinguished service to the outstanding officers of the Intelligence Bureau.
- This conference was earlier used to be a one day event but now changed to a three day event from 2015.
- This conference was moved out of Delhi and also began to organize in various parts of the country.
- Eleven core groups are formed this year , to hold brainstorming sessions on key aspects of internal and external security.
- This core group look after issues in terrorism, naxalism, coastal security, cyber threats, radicalization and narco-terrorism.
6. President addressed the 2nd Convocation of AIIMS Jodhpur :
- President Shri Ram Nath Kovind addressed the 2nd Convocation of AIIMS Jodhpur on 7th Dec’2019 at Jodhpur.
- AIIMS Jodhpur is established under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- AIIMS Jodhpur also has an important role in state-of-art research centre.
7. Armed Forces Flag Day or the Flag Day of India :
- Armed Forces Flag Day also called the Flag Day of India is a special day dedicated towards collection of funds from Indian people.
- This fund will be used for the welfare of the Indian Armed Forces personnel.
- It is observed annually on 7th December since 1949.
8. Nationwide GST Stakeholder Feedback Diwas :
- On 7th Dec’2019, Central GST and State GST authorities jointly organized a nationwide GST Stakeholder Feedback Diwas .
- This feedback diwas hold the discussions on the new GST Returns for getting an on-the-spot response .
- This was done in 125 cities across the country where more than 7500 trade associations/stakeholders participated in this programme.
- This new GST return form is going to be made mandatory from 1st Apr’ 2020.
- This was done as Finance Minister had already directed the CGST and SGST authorities to organize a nationwide interaction with stakeholders on 7th Dec 2019 to get a first-hand feedback on the new GST Returns which are proposed to be started from 1st April’2020.
9. Parivartan Sangosthi :
- A two days conclave ‘Parivartan Sangosthi’ was organised on 7th Dec’2019 at New Delhi.
- This Sangosthi was organised by the Indian Railways.
- The purpose of this sangosthi is to deliberate on the suggestions received from the officers of various Zonal Railways & ultimately take Indian Railways to the very next level of reforms.
10. 8th National Photography Awards :
- Entries for the 8th National Photography Awards has been invited by the Photo Division of the Press Information Bureau which works under the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting.
- This will promote various aspects of the country such as art, culture, development, heritage, history, life, people, society, and traditions through a very expressive medium of photography.
- This will also encourage professional and amateur photographers across India.
- Theme for the Professional Photographers is 'Life and Water.'
- Theme for the Amateur Photographers is 'Cultural Heritage of India.'
Sources : The Hindu, The Indian Express, Press Information Bureau Website