Current Affairs 8th January;2020
JITHIN LAL , Published On:08-Jan-2020
1. Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), a statutory body established in January 2009 under the Ministry of Electronics and Information is solely responsible for providing AADHAR cards.
- Aadhaar even after 10 years is the world’s largest biometric ID system in the world’s largest biometric ID system in the world.
- In 2009, nearly 5 million births were unregistered. However, today the body has made Aadhar huge success with 95% of adults holding the identity card today.
- Aadhaar collects only four personal information, that includes, name, gender, age and address along with biometric data of thumb impression, retinal scan and facial recognition.
2.The second National GST Conference and Central and State Commissioners was held to streamline the Goods and Services Tax.
- The Revenue Secretary of Ministry of Finance Dr Ajay Bhushan Pandey was the Chairman of the conference.
- A Committee is to be constituted with central and state officers. The Committee will examine and implement measures that will help curb fraudulent refund claims.
- The Committee will come up with a Standard of Procedure that will become operational by the end of January 2020. The Investigation wing of Income Tax Department is to investigate all major cases of fake imports, fraudulent refunds and fake input credits.
- The foreign exchange remittances are to be linked with IGST refund in order to curb fraudulent IGST refund claims.
3.The Indian Data Relay Satellite System & will track Indian satellites in low-earth orbits.It is a new satellite series that plans to set up a communication system between the space assets of India.
- The system is aimed to play a vital role in India’s space station and space docking.
- It will also assist distant expeditions of India to Mars, moon and Venus.The system will help in monitoring launches.
- The IRDSS is to play a major role in India’s Human Space Flight Programme, Gaganyaan.
- It will help India to cover the entire mission right from its launch.
- The IDRSS satellites are to be launched on GSLV launcher.
- They will approximately weigh 2,000 kg.
- These satellites are to be placed in an orbit of 36,000 km away from earth’s orbit.
4.The Government Think Tank Niti Aayog draws up list of medical devices that have high export potential.
- It has come up with 10 devices to provide priority subsidies.
- It includes surgical blades, orthopaedic implants, catheters, syringes and needles, X-ray machines, blood bags, MRI machines and CT scan.
- The devices included in the list are to be prioritized in order to boost their domestic manufacturing.
- Also, in order to boost their exports, GoI will create a framework to accelerate their standardization and certification.
- NITI Aayog announced that all medical devices will be brought under one regulatory regime.
- This will aid in boosting exports as well as it will fasten the certification process.
5.Vikram Sarabhai Children Innovation Center (VSCIC) will be set up soon in Gujarat.
- The announcement for the same was made by Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani while speaking during the felicitation ceremony of Children’s Innovation Festival (CIF) in Gandhinagar.
- The Gujarat CM felicitated the top 30 innovation ideas by the school teams during the Children’s Innovation Festival .
- The Gujarat University also exchanged a letter of intent with UNICEF on the occasion.
- The Vikram Sarabhai Children Innovation Center will be set up to identify, nurture and promote innovation by children in the state.
- The centre will work towards identifying children with ideas and then nurture and support them.
6. Iran attacks US base in Iraq:
- Iran has launched many surface-to-surface ballistic missiles at the US troops stationed at air bases in Iraq.
- This was confirmed by the Pentagon on January 7, 2020.
- Iran’s military response comes in retaliation to the slaying of its top General Qassem Soleimani.
- In its retaliatory strike, Iran targeted Ain Assad and Erbil US military bases in Iraq.
- There are currently no confirmed casualties in the attack.
- The Pentagon is currently assessing the damage caused by the Iranian airstrike.
Q1. Name the bank that will grant a loan worth of $210 million for irrigation ($145-mn) & solar energy projects($65-mn) in India .
Ans: Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
Q2. Name the district that was awarded by United Nations International Children’s and Education Fund (UNICEF) for effective implementation of Swachh Bharat Mission in water sanitation and hygiene sectors for the year 2019 .
Ans: Kamareddy district, Telangana
Q3. Where did Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) test-fired its Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile (QRSAM) recently ?
Ans: Chandipur, Odisha
Q4. Which football club has won the 16th edition of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) Club World Cup (WC) title 2019 ?
Q5. Name the country, which has retained the FIFA’s (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) Team of the Year for the year 2019.
Q6. For which poetry, V M Girija has been selected for the best poetry award ?
Ans: Budhha Pournami
Q7. Name the railway station, which has collaborated with Airo Guard & opened the ‘Oxygen Parlour’ to provide an experience of breathing clean air and to battle against rising air pollution .
Ans: Nashik Railway Station
Q8. Based on how many sectors, States/UT were ranked in the first edition of Good Governance Index (GGI) ?
Ans: 10 sectors
Q9. Which state topped in the ‘first edition of Good Governance Index (GGI)’ under the “Big States Category” ?
Ans: Tamil Nadu
Q10. Find the Union Territory, that topped among the other Union Territories in the ‘first edition of Good Governance Index (GGI)’ ?
Q11. Name the Scheme launched by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi to improve ground water management with an outlay of Rs 6000 crores for 5 years (2020-21 till 2024-2025) .
Ans: Atal Bhujal Yojana
Q12. What is the length of the Atal tunnel, World’s longest mountain tunnel under Rohtang Pass located in Himachal Pradesh ?
Q13. Name the scheme that received Rs. 627.40 crore from Cabinet for 10 projects sanctioned during 2018-19 to promote, develop and harness the potential of tourism in India
Ans: Swadesh Darshan Scheme
Q14. Which is the only country in the world, that has hypersonic weapons ?
Q.1 Kalinga prize is given in which field
Q.2 After whom is the Magsaysay award named
- a former President of the Philippines
Q.3 Jamini Roy distinguished himself in the field of - painting
Q.4 Who won both Bharat Ratna and Nishan-e-Pakistan - Morarji Desai
Q.5 Headquarters of Botanical Survey of India is located in
Q.6 The song "Candle in the Wind " was sung by Elton John in honour of
- Princess Diana
Q.7 Who was the founder director of the TIFR (Tata Institute of Fundamental Research)
- H.J Bhabha
Q.8 Which amidst the following rural banks has been named after a river
- Varada Grameen Bank
Q.9 Whose sales-line is "Owner's pride,neighbour's envy"
- Onida TV
Q.10 Who was the music composer who was deaf
- Beethovan LV
Q.11 From which historical work were the words 'Satyameva Jayate' taken
- Mundaka Upanishad
Q.12 "Short goals is crime "
- Dr A.P.J Abdul Kalam
Q.13 Ikebana is a japanese form
- flower arrangement
Q.14 Mount Everest is named after
- A surveyor General of India
Q.15 Which city is known as the "big apple"
- New York
Q.16 Which city in India has got a tower named after Muhammad Ali Jinnah
Q.17 Where is the headquarters of European Union located
Q.18 INTERPOL has its headquarters at
Q.19 Mushroom rocks are the typical landforms seen in
Q.20 Tropical grasslands of Brazil are known as
Q.21 Where in India can you normally spot the siberian crane in winter - Keoladeo Ghana Sanctuary
Q.22 Duncan passage is located between - South and little Andaman
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information Bureau website