Current affairs of 9th January
Anjali Singh, Updated On:10-Jan-2019
1.Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will visit Agra in Uttar Pradesh on 9 January, 2019.
- He will launch Gangajal project and other various developmental projects. He will also lay foundation stone for Integrated Command and Control Centre for Agra Smart City, upgradation of SN Medical College, etc.
- The Gangajal programme has a project cost of Rs. 2880 Crore. It will provide Agra with better and more assured water supply. It will benefit both the residents of the city as well as tourists.
2.The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will visit Solapur in Maharashtra. He will launch several development projects and lay foundation stones for various Projects.
- Giving a boost to road transport and connectivity in, the Prime Minister will dedicate to the nation Four Laned Section of Solapur - Tuljapur - Osmanabad of NH-211 (New NH-52). The four laning of Solapur - Osmanabad highway will help improve the connectivity of Solapur, with the important Marathwada region of Maharashtra.
- Prime Minister will lay foundation Stone of 30,000 houses under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana. These will primarily benefit poor homeless people like rag pickers, rickshaw drivers, textile workers,beedi workers, etc
3.The restructured National Bamboo Mission (NBM) was approved in April, 2018 for implementation till the end of 14th Finance Commission i.e. 2019-20.
- The scheme aims to inter-alia supplement farm income of farmers with focus on the development of complete value chain of bamboo sector linking growers with industry.
4.The first national workshop on the agri export policy, approved by Cabinet recently, was held in New Delhi.
- The workshop was inaugurated by the Union Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu.
- Minister of State for Commerce & Industry, C. R. Chaudhary, Secretary Department of Commerce, Dr. Anup Wadhawan, senior officials of various departments of Government of India, State Governments, agri experts and exporters attended the workshop.
5.Shri Sinha was inaugurating a one-day conference hosted by the Telecommunication Engineering Centre (TEC), New Delhi on “M2M/IoT Enabling Smart Infrastructure”.
- Machine-to-Machine (M2M) communication and the Internet-of-Things (IoT) have the potential to transform our lives, by radically changing the way we interact with the physical world around us
6.The Rajya Sabha witnessed six adjournments due to protests by members of the Samajwadi Party, the Bahujan Samaj Party and the Rashtriya Janata Dal, alleging misuse of the CBI against the Opposition parties
7.The government introduced a Bill in the Lok Sabha to amend the Trade Unions Act, 1926. The Bill, the government said, would grant recognition to trade unions, ensure representation of workers in tripartite bodies and check arbitrary nomination by the government
8.The Union Government accepted to set up the Centre for Classical Language at the Thunchath Ezhuthachan Malayalam University in Tirur, Kerala.
Appointment and Resignation
9.The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has set up a fivemember committee headed by Infosys chairman Nandan Nilekani to suggest a strategy for deepening of digital payments in the country.
10.Gita Gopinath has joined International Monetary Fund as its chief economist, becoming the first woman to occupy the top IMF post.
11.The India Gem & Jewellery Domestic Council (GJC), the national apex body of the gems and jewellery industry, has elected Anantha Padmanabhan as chairman and Shankar Sen as vice chairman for a period of two years
12.Jayaraman Balasubramanian has been appointed as an Independent Trustee of Canara Robeco Mutual Fund (CRMF) effective from December 20, 2018,
13.Pranav R Mehta (solar man of India), became the first Indian to Head Global Solar Council, USA
14.The Supreme Court, as per orders penned by Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi, reinstated CBI Director Alok Kumar Verma without giving him any major policy decision making powers.
15.Maharashtra is going to host the second edition of the Khelo India Youth Games which includes completions in 18 different disciplines at Balewadi Sports Complex in Pune. The event will conclude on 20th January 2019.
16.The International Cricket Council (ICC) announced USA Cricket as its 105th member.
17.9th January is observed as Pravasi Bhartiya Divas.
- The day commemorates as the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa.
- Theme of the year is Ancient Route, New Journey.
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information Bureau website