Current affairs of 12th January
Anjali Singh, Updated On:16-Jan-2019
1.The 25th edition of Partnership Summit 2019, a global platform for dialogue, debate, deliberation and engagement among Indian and global leaders on economic policy and growth trends in India, is being held in Mumbai.
- The two-day event will be inaugurated by the Vice President of India, M Venkaiah Naidu.
- The Summit is expected to build new partnerships and explore investment opportunities through high level exchanges and B2B meetings.
2.The Armed Force are celebrating the Veterans Day on 14 January to honour the veterans of the Army, Navy and Air Force.
- To mark this occasion, veteran rallies will be held country wide at Armed Forces stations.
- The main celebration in Delhi will take place at the Manekshaw Centre, Delhi Cantt.
- Raksha Mantri and Raksha Rajya Mantri will grace the occasion amongst many other eminent officials associated with the Veterans affairs.
3.The Union Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region, PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, Department of Atomic Energy and Department of Space, Dr Jitendra Singh addressed the training programme on Pension Rules & Bhavishya, organised by the Department of Pensions and Pensioners’ Welfare, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions.
- The programme was organised for the officials of various Ministries dealing with pension related matters.
4.The Ministry of Women and Child Development is organising the three-day 6th ‘Women of India Organic Festival’ at Leisure Valley, Sector-10, Chandigarh, to celebrate and promote women farmers and entrepreneurs in the organic sector from the remotest parts of India.
- Shri B.L. Sharma, Secretary, Women and Child Development, UT Chandigarh will be the Chief Guest
- Smt. Anuradha Chagti, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Women and Child Development, Govt. of India will be the Guest of Honour for inaugural function of the 6th “Women of India Organic Festival”.
5.NITI Aayog Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) released the “Atal Tinkering Lab Handbook – Nayee Dishayen, Naye Nirman, Naya Bharat” on the eve of the birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda, also celebrated as the National Youth Day, to hail and take forward the spirit of Tinkering and Innovation across the country.
- They also announced the 10 Month Student Entrepreneurship Programme, which is a fully-funded initiative to help the Top Six innovations of the Atal Tinkering Marathon 2017
6.Air pollution is one of the biggest global environmental challenges. A time bound national level strategy for pan India implementation to tackle the increasing air pollution problem across the country in a comprehensive manner in the form of National Clean Air Programme (NCAP) launched by Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Dr. Harsh Vardhan in New Delhi.
7.The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has slapped a penalty of ₹3 crore on foreign lender Citibank India for not complying with ‘fit and proper’ criteria for directors
8.Private sector lender Yes Bank signed a pact with Kia Motors for finance and banking solutions.
- According to the memorandum of understanding (MoU) signed between both companies, Yes Bank will offer financing and banking solutions to Kia car dealers with products such as term loans, cash credit and inventory funding
9.The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Maritime issues between India and Denmark and it is proposed to be signed during the upcoming visit of the VVIP from Denmark to India in January, 2019.
10.On 10th January 2019, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Japan on development of Advanced Model Single Window, aimed at facilitating investments and promote ease of doing business
11.The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and France on technical bilateral cooperation in the field of new and renewable energy. The MoU in this regard had already been signed on 3rd October, 2018.
12.The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi chaired Union Cabinet has approved the signing of Terms of Reference (TOR) that would govern the engagement of the designated Indian Expert to provide tax assistance to Swaziland (Eswatini) under the Tax Inspectors Without Borders Programme (TIWB) between India and Eswatini.
13.The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi gave its nod to the proposal for entering into an agreement for $75-billion Bilateral Swap Arrangement (BSA) between India and Japan.
14.Citizenship (Amendment) Bill 2019 seeking to provide Indian citizenship to non-Muslims communities from Bangladesh, Pakistan and Afghanistan was passed in the Lok Sabha.
15.Sanskriti Kumbh, a 29 days cultural extravaganza inaugurated by the Governor of Uttar Pradesh, Shri Ram Naik in the presence of the Union Minister of state for Culture Dr. Mahesh Sharma in Kumbh Mela area, Prayagraj, Uttar Pradesh.
16.The World Economic Forum announced that the Tata Steel plant at Ijmuiden in the Netherlands has been recognized as ‘Manufacturing Lighthouses’ – an award was given to manufacturing facilities which are seen as leaders in technologies of the ‘Fourth Industrial Revolution’.
Awards and Recognition
17.Industrialist and Godrej Group Chairman Adi Godrej was conferred the ICSIs Lifetime Achievement Award for ‘Translating Excellence in Corporate Governance into Reality’ in Mumbai.
18.Virat Kohli and coach Ravi Shastri received honorary membership of the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) for their contribution to the sport of cricket.
Appointment and Resignation
19.Ashok Chawla resigned as the chairman and public interest director of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) after the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) informed a Delhi court that the Centre had given the goahead to prosecute five people, including Mr. Chawla, in the Aircel Maxis matter
20.Nicolas Maduro was sworn in as Venezuelan President for the 2nd term for a new 6-year term.
21.The Selection Committee chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi removed Alok Verma as CBI Chief, M. Nageswara Rao re-elected as New CBI Chief
22.Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen appointed Su Tseng-chang as the new Prime Minister of Taiwan during a cabinet reshuffle following the loss of Ruling Democratic Progressive Party in the local elections.
23.12th January is observed as National Youth Day.
- It is celebrated on the birth anniversary of Social Reformer and Philosopher Swami Vivekananda.
- It is 21st National Youth Day and celebrated in Rohtak, Haryana.
24.Meera Sanyal, top banker turned activist, who contested the Mumbai South seat in the last two Lok Sabha elections, passed away at her South Mumbai residence
25.The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has suspended Hardik Pandya and K.L. Rahul, pending an enquiry, for comments made on the TV show Koffee with Karan.
26.South African allrounder Albie Morkel retired from all forms of cricket.
27.Indian Weightlifting Federation President Birendra Prasad Baishya is named as Chef de Mission for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
- Baishya is also one of the Indian Olympic Association Vice Presidents.
- Tokyo 2020 organizing committee president is Yoshiro Mori
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information Bureau website