Current affairs of 13th January
Anjali Singh, Updated On:16-Jan-2019
1.The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, conferred the Honorary Rank of General of the Indian Army on Sukirti maya Rashtradeep General Purna Chandra Thapa, Chief of the Army Staff, Nepalese Army, for his commendable military prowess and immeasurable contribution to fostering Nepal’s long and friendly association with India, at a special Investiture Ceremony held at Rashtrapati Bhavan (January 12, 2019).
2.Prime Minister Narendra Modi will release a commemorative coin on Guru Gobind Singh ji, on January 13, 2019 at 7 Lok Kalyan Marg, New Delhi. The event marks the birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh ji. The Prime Minister will also address a select gathering on this occasion.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi attended 350th birth anniversary celebrations of Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj in Patna on January 5, 2017. He released a commemorative postage stamp to mark the occasion.
3.The Sovereign Gold Bonds 2018-19 (Series V) will be opened for the period from 14th to 18th January, 2019.
- The Issue Price of the Bond during this subscription period shall be Rs. 3,214 (Rupees Three Thousand Two Hundred Fourteen only) – per gram with the Settlement Date of January 22, 2019, as also published by RBI in their Press Release dated January 11, 2019.
- The Government of India in consultation with the Reserve Bank of India has decided to allow discount of Rs. 50 (Rupees Fifty only) per gram from the issue price to those investors who apply online and the payment is made through digital mode. For such investors, the issue price of Gold Bond will be Rs. 3,164 (Rupees Three Thousand One Hundred Sixty Four only) per gram of gold.
4.Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports Col Rajyavardhan Rathore (Retd) launched the National Youth Parliament Festival 2019, thereby beginning the celebration of the National Youth Day 2019.
5.Beneficiaries who have enrolled under the Krushak Assistance for Livelihood and Income Augmentation (KALIA) scheme in the first phase will receive monetary assistance by January 26.
6.Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the ninth ‘Vibrant Gujarat’ global investors summit on January 18 in the presence of five heads of States and over 100 diplomats and captains of industry
After inaugurating the main session, the Prime Minister will also participate in a roundtable session with financial experts and sovereign funds CEO regarding investment opportunities in the country. Mr. Modi will be on a visit to the State on January 17 and 18
7.President Ram Nath Kovind gave his assent to the Constitution amendment that provides 10% reservation to the economically backward section in the general category in government jobs and education.
- With the Ministry for Law and Justice issuing a notification about the Constitution (103 Amendment) Act, 2019 receiving the Presidential assent, reservation for the economically weaker among general category is now law
- The Act amends Articles 15 and 16 of the Constitution — ensuring Fundamental Rights to a citizen — by adding a clause that allows the State to make “special provision for the advancement of any economically weaker sections of citizens”.
8.The Union Cabinet approved the re-issuance of an ordinance making the practice of instant triple talaq a criminal offence.The earlier ordinance,is to expire on January 22,2019.
9.Four new projects for Rs. 190.46 Crores under the tourism infrastructure development schemes, Swadesh Darshan and PRASHAD(Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual, Heritage Augmentation Drive) was launched by Ministry of Tourism in the states of Meghalaya, Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh.
10.The inaugural round of a 2+2 Inter-Sessional meeting between the United States and India which focused on the progress of defence and foreign policy issues between the two countries took place in New Delhi.
11.Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched the ‘Ama Ghare LED’ scheme, under which about 95 lakh families in the State will each get four LED bulbs free of cost.
Awards and Recognition
12.Mahendra Singh Dhoni became the fifth player to score 10,000 runs for India in One day International cricket, adding another feather to his cap
Appointment and Resignation
13.Former Finance Secretary Ashok Chawla has resigned as chairman of The Energy Resources Institute (TERI).
14.Yes Bank, India’s fourth largest private sector bank has appointed Brahm Dutt as non-executive part-time chairman to the board
15.The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) approved the appointment of senior bureaucrat Jaideep Govind as the Secretary General, National Human Rights Commission (NHRC).
16.Lt Gen J S Nain took over as the 14th Corps Commander of the Rising Star Corps from Lt Gen Y V K Mohan in Jammu.
17.Rohit Sharma 1st Indian to slam 5 ODI hundreds in Australia
- Rohit Sharma slammed his 22nd ODI century in the first match of three-ODI series against Australia at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information Bureau website