Current affairs of 14th January
Anjali Singh, Updated On:16-Jan-2019
1.Finance Minister Shri Arun Jaitley and Union Minority Affairs Minister Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi inaugurated “Hunar Haat”.
- This Hunar Haat has been organised at State Emporia Complex, Baba Kharak Singh Marg, Connaught Place, New Delhi from 12th to 20th January, 2019.
2.Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar offered prayers at Takht Sri Harmandir Patna Sahib on the occasion of 352nd Prakash Parv — birth anniversary of 10th Sikh Guru, Guru Govind Singh.
3.Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani announced that the State would implement the 10% quota in government jobs and higher education for the economically backward sections in the general category from January 14.
- This makes Gujarat the first State to implement the quota.
4.India and the U.S. reviewed the progress on finalising two key agreements during the 2+2 intercession meeting last week, apart from taking stock of the overall defence cooperation. The agreements are the Industrial Security Annex (ISA) and the Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement for Geospatial Cooperation (BECA), a foundational agreement.
5.The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) remained a net seller of dollars in November 2018, as it sold $644 million of the greenbacks on a net basis in the spot market, according to the latest data.
- As against this, in November 2017, the bank had purchased $2.570 billion from the spot market and sold $1.706 billion, while in the reporting month, the monetary authority bought $3.127 billion from the spot market, and sold $3.771 billion, according to data from the central bank
6.Ministry of Law and Justice announced that President Ram Nath Kovind has promulgated the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Ordinance, 2019.
- The ordinance is to protect the rights of married Muslim women and criminalise the practice of triple talaq or Talaq-e-Bidat” .On this occasion,The President also re-promulgated Companies Amendment Ordinance 2019 and Indian Medical Council Amendment Ordinance 2019.
7.Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling launched the ‘One Family One Job’ scheme, under which for every family one government job has been allotted, in Gangtok.
- New recruits were taken for Group C and Group D posts in 12 departments.
8.Private sector lender IDFC Bank changed its name to IDFC First Bank Ltd owing to the merge of the bank with Non-Banking Finance Company (NBFC) Capital First on December 2018.
9.The Global Innovation Policy Center (GIPC) of United States Chamber of Commerce launched a new innovation strategy at Raisina Dialogue, 2019 in New Delhi. The Initiative is titled as “Fair Value for Innovation”.
Awards and Recognition
10.Writer Namita Gokhale won the Sushila Devi Literature Award for her novel “Things to Leave Behind“.She was awarded in the ‘Best Book of Fiction Written by a Woman Author’ category at the inaugural edition of Bhopal Literature and Art Festival (BLF).
12.A former Goa Ranji cricket player Rajesh Ghodge collapsed on a cricket ground in Margao in south Goa while playing a local tournament and died soon after
Appointment and Resignation
13.Senior legislator Gulab Chand Kataria is chosen as the Leader of the Opposition in the Rajasthan Assembly by the BJP legislature party during a meeting at the party office.
- He is also selected as leader of the BJP legislature party while seven time MLA Rajendra Rathore was chosen as his deputy.
14.Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) hired former Citi executive Daniel Hughes Callahan,as an additional and independent director for 5 years.
15.The BCCI senior selection Committee have chosen Tamil Nadu allrounder Vijay Shankar and Punjab batsman Shubman Gill as replacements for the suspended Hardik Pandya and K.L. Rahul
16.Taslim Mir clinched the girls’ U17 badminton title at the Khelo India Youth Games 2019.
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information Bureau website