Current Affairs of 17 May 2018
Keshav Kishore, Published On:17-May-2018
1. National Biofuel Policy
· The Union Cabinet has given in-principle approval for the National Policy on Bio-fuels which allows doping of ethanol produced from rotten potatoes, damaged food grains, corn and sugar beet with petrol.
· The first generation ethanol is produced form molasses and bio- diesel from non-edible oilseeds.
· Second generation bio-fuels are generated from waste vegetable oils and also form Jatropha.
· Third generation bio-fuels are generated mainly from algae.
2. Guwahati: India’s first powered railway station
· Guwahati has become India’s first railway station to be run by solar power.
· Solar Power installation will save electricity of the worth of Rs.67 lakh.
· There are around 2352 solar modules of total capacity 700 Kilo Watt Power has been installed over the roof of the Guawahati Railway Station.
3. Wind-Solar Hybrid Policy
· Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy have issued a new National Wind-Solar Hybrid Policy.
· The policy seeks to provide a framework for the promotion of large grid-connected wind-solar Photo Voltaic hybrid system.
· The policy also aims to have efficient utilization of transmission infrastructure and land.
· After the implementation of the new policy there will be less renewable power variability and better grid stability.
4. Indore: The cleanest city of India
· In the Swachh Survekshan 2018 list, Indore is on the top rank.
· The second and third positions were clinched by Bhopal and Chandigarh.
· The survey included around 4200 cities this time.
· From the state point of view, Jharkhand is best performer followed by Maharashtra and Chattisgarh.
5. All women Post Office Passport Seva Kendra
· Country’s 192nd Post Office Passport Seva Kendra has become all women Passport Seva Kendra.
· The country’s first all-women Post Office Passport Seva Kendra is situated in Phagwara, Punjab.
Source: The Hindu, Wikipedia, PIB