Current Affairs of 24 May 2018
Keshav Kishore, Published On:24-May-2018
1. Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR)
· MTCR was established in 1987 to curb the spread of ballistic missiles and other unmanned delivery systems that could be used for chemical, biological and nuclear attacks.
· A member of this group can get or transfer missile technologies from other member country which can be of weight more than 500 kg and range can be more than 300 km.
· India is also a member of MTCR and now because of its membership it has extended range of its supersonic Brahmos missile from 290 km to 450 km.
· The new version of Brahmos missile was successfully test fired from the Integrated Test Range (ITR), Balasore, Odisha.
· Brahmos missile can attain a speed of 2.8 Mach and can carry a conventional warhead of almost 300 kg.
2. Model Code of Conduct Violation Reporting App
· The Election Commission of India is all set to launch a mobile application called “Model Code of Conduct Violation Reporting App” ahead of the 2019 Lok Sabha election.
· The app is aimed to share evidence of malpractice by political parties, their candidates and activists directly with the electoral body.
· It was first used as a pilot project in Bengaluru in recently concluded Karnataka Assembly election.
3. World Health Assembly in Geneva
· The 71st edition of the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) World Health Assembly is being hosted by Geneva, Switzerland from 21st May to 26th May.
· The theme of this year is “Health for All: Commit To Universal Health Coverage”.
· India will be represented by the Health Minister J. P. Nadda in the assembly.
Source: The Hindu, The Indian Express, PIB