Current Affairs of 16 June 2018
Keshav Kishore, Published On:16-Jun-2018
1. Trade deficit in May $14.62 billion
· India’s trade deficit has surged to $14.62 billion in May 2018 which was $13.72 billion in April 2018.
· The trade deficit is the difference between total export and total import.
· The export has increased by 20.18% in the comparison with May 2017 while at the same time import has surged to 14.18% in the comparison with May 2017.
2. 106th Indian Science Congress in Jalandhar
· Lovely Professional University in Jalandhar will host the 106th edition of National Science Congress next year from Jan 3 to 7, 2019.
· The theme of this congress is “Future India: Science & Technology”.
· Parallel events such as Women Science Conference, Science Communicator’s Meet, Children Science Conference and Science Exhibition will also be organized.
3. Joint Stamp for India and Vietnam
· Union cabinet has given approval for the issuing of India- Vietnam joint postage stamp.
· The stamp shows Sanchi Stupa of India and Pho Minh Pagoda of Vietnam.
· Sanchi Stupa was buit in 3rd century BC and was commissioned by Mauryan Emperor Ashoka. It is a Buddhist architecture situated in MP and also in the UNESCO’s World Heritage Site.
· The Pagoda of Vietnam was built by Ly Dynasty which was further expanded by Tran Dynasty in 1262.
· It was a high ranking place for mandarins and aristocracy of the Tran Royal Court to do worship and for their religious life.
4. Important Abbreviations
· ULIP: Unit Linked Insurance Plan
· CD : Certificate of Deposit
· FOREX : Foreign Exchange
· NAV : Net Asset Value
· LLC : Limited Liability Company
· CFO : Chief Financial Officer
· NASDAQ : National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotation.
· IPO : Initial Public Offering
· MDR : Merchant Discount Rate
· ETF : Exchange Traded Fund
Source: The Hindu, The Indian Express, PIB