Current Affairs of 14 August 2018
Keshav Kishore, Published On:14-Aug-2018
1. CPI Index was 9 month low in July
· The retail inflation of India comes down nine month low @4.17% in July, 2018.
· Food inflation was mere 1.73% and it was very low as compare to 3.11% in June.
· CPI (Combined) which is taken as headline inflation is released by Central Statistics organization (CSO).
2. Ease of living Index topped by Pune
· Pune became the top city in Ease of Living Index by Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
· Navi Mumbai and Grater Mumbai are at second and third place respectively
· For this ranking four different parameters – governance or institutions, social indicators, economic indicators and physical infrastructure are used to decide rank in this ranking.
3. Lok Sabha passed Arbitration Bill, 2018
· Lok Sabha has recently passed Arbitration & Conciliation (Amendment) Bill, 2018.
· The bill will amend the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996.
· The bill proposes to establish an independent body named as the “Arbitration Council of India (ACI)” which will promote arbitration, mediation, conciliation and other alternative dispute redressal mechanisms.
· Arbitration means settlement of dispute between two parties by a third neutral party without going through the procedure of court.
· Generally arbitration is speedier and cheaper than court and all the matters are kept confidential.
· In a developing country like India it is very essential to have such resolution system for the speedy resolution of business disputes.
4. One liner Current Affairs
· NASA has launched its first mission to the sun named as “Parker Solar Probe”.
· First genetic bank for wildlife conservation will be in Hyderabad at the laboratory for the Conservation of Endangered Species (LaCONES).
· Justice Manjula Chellur became the chairman of Appellate Tribunal for Electricity.
· Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (IGIB) have successfully discovered a pathway that regulates hepcidin hormone production which is central regulator of iron in the body
· Smitha V. Crishna (Godrej Family) is the wealthiest woman in the Kotak Wealth Hurun Ranking 2018.
Source: The Hindu, The Indian Express, PIB