Current Affairs of 20 August 2018
Keshav Kishore, Published On:20-Aug-2018
1. Asian Game 2018
· Apurvi Chandela and Ravi Kumar won the silver medal in the 10m air rifle Mixed team event.
· Bajrang Punia won gold medal in the 65 kg freestyle wrestling event.
· Deepak Kumar won silver medal in the Men’s 10m Air rifle category.
2. Moody’s prediction about increased CAD
· Moody’s has predicted that India’s Current Account Deficit (CAD) will widen by 2.5% of GDP.
· The gap of import and export will be aggravated due to higher oil prices that has been accentuated by rupee depreciation.
· The rupee depreciated to record low of 70.32 to U.S. dollar as political turmoil in Turkey.
3. Rupee Depreciation
· The current rupee depreciation is mostly based on dollar strengthening rather than any inherent weakness in the domestic unit.
· The rupee is doing well as compare to other emerging markets such as Russia, Brazil, Argentina and Turkey.
· Indian rupee is worst performing in Asia and down about 8.5% while currency of Russia (13.7%), Brazil (14.8%), Argentina (37.8%) and Turkey (42%) are worse than Indian rupees.
· These reports are released by HSBC which also confirmed that Indian markets are at lifetime highs and have performed better than other emerging markets.
4. One liner Current Affairs
· Panini Language Laboratory was inaugurated by external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj at Mahatma Gandhi Institute (MGI) in Mauritius.
· Airtel Payment Bank has become the first payments bank in India to offer the Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana.
· Axis Bank has become the first bank of country to introduce Iris Scan Authentication feature.
· Leaders of Iran, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Russia and Turkmenistan have signed Caspian Sea agreement.
· Justice Kalpesh Satyendra Javeri and Justice Mukesh R Shah have sworn-in as Chief Justice of Orissa High Court and Patna High Court respectively.
· Ashish Kumar Bhutani is the new Chief Executive officer of Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana.
· Ramesh Powar has become the new Head Coach of Indian Women’s Cricket Team.
· All the Public Sector Banks (PSBs) have performed well due to adoption of Enhanced Access & Service Excellence (EASE) last year.
· India’s second largest housing finance Indiabulls Housing Finance (IBHFL) has appointed S. S. Mundra as an independent director.
Source: The Hindu, The Indian Express, PIB