Current Affairs of 9 September 2018
Keshav Kishore, Published On:09-Sep-2018
1. Bogibeel Bridge
· It will be India’s longest road-rail bridge of length 4.94 km.
· It will connect eastern half of Northeast which is made over Brahmaputra river.
· The demand for the bridge is since 1962 but foundation stone laid in January 1997 and work was inaugurated by Atal Bihari Vajpayee in 2002.
2. International Literacy Day: September 8
· The 52nd International Literacy Day was celebrated on 8th September.
· The theme of this year is “Literacy and Skills Development”.
· The day is celebrated to fulfill the key component of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals and the UN’s 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
3. Naomi Osaka defeated Serena Williams
· Naomi Osaka defeated Serena Williams in the U.S. Open Tennis Women’s Single final.
· She became the first Japanese women to win a Grand Slam title.
· It is conspicuous to note that Serena Williams has 6 U.S. Open grand slam and total 23 grand slams.
4. One liner Current Affairs
· Amitabh Chaudhary will be new MD & CEO of Axis Bank.
· Indian Railway launched a mobile application named as “AAPOORTI” as a e-procurement system.
· Temasek, a Singapore based global investment firm, will invest up to $400 million in the National Investment Infrastructure Fund (NIIF).
· Anshula Kant will be new Managing Director (MD) of State Bank of India (SBI).
· Sixth edition of Space Expo was inaugurated by ISRO chairman Dr. K. Sivan in Bengaluru.
· China has launched “HY-1C satellite” to monitor sea waters and climate change.
· Hriday Hazarika won gold medal at International Shooting Sports Federation (ISSF) World Championship in the Men’s 10m air rifle Junior event.
· India is the partner country for the “Izmir International Trade Show” which began in Turkey on 7th September.
· Sixth International Geriatric Orthopedic Society of India Conference held in AIIMS, Delhi.
· Government is planning to amend the Electricity Act, 2003 for applying the DBT (Direct Benefit Transfer) scheme for the subsidy given to consumers by state government.
Source: The Hindu, The Indian Express, PIB