Current Affairs of 23rd October
Neelakshi Das, Published On:23-Oct-2018
1. India and China signed their maiden internal security cooperation agreement that among other areas of cooperation will involve intelligence sharing between two sides amid common threats from international terror.
- The pact focuses on terrorism, narcotics, human trafficking, intelligence sharing and disaster management.
- It was signed between Zhao Kezhi, China’s Minister of Public Security, and Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh in presence of Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju.
- Capital of China - Beijing
- Currency of China - Renminbi
- President: Xi Jinping
2. Visit of Foreign Secretary of India to Myanmar
- Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale met Myanmar’s State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi and discussed issues related to bilateral cooperation and about the developments in the strife-torn Rakhine State.
- He also signed an MoU that would add to local infrastructure capacity and help in creating job opportunities in Myanmar.
3. Chinese President Xi Jinping has officially opened the world's longest sea crossing bridge, Hong Kong-Zhuhai bridge
- The bridge spans 55 km (34 miles) and connects Hong Kong to Macau and the mainland Chinese city of Zhuhai.
- About 30 km of its total length crosses the sea of the Pearl River delta. To allow ships through, a 6.7km section in the middle dips into an undersea tunnel that runs between two artificial islands.
4. Central Board of Direct Taxes(CBDT) releases Direct Tax Statistics
- Growth of more than 80% in the number of returns filed in the last four financial years
- Number of persons filing return of income has also increased by about 65% during this period from 3.31 crore in FY 2013-14 to 5.44 crore in FY 2017-18
- There is a constant growth in direct tax-GDP ratio over last three years and the ratio of 5.98% in FY 2017-18 is the best DT-GDP ratio in last 10 years.
- The number of individual taxpayers disclosing income above Rs. 1 crore increased during the period under reference from 48,416 to 81,344, which translates into a growth of 68%.
- The average tax paid by corporate taxpayers has increased from Rs.32.28 lakh in AY 2014-15 to Rs.49.95 lakh in AY 2017-18 (growth of 55%).
- There is also an increase of 26% in the average tax paid by individual taxpayers from Rs.46,377/- in AY 2014-15 to Rs.58,576/- in AY 2017-18.
- During the three-year period under reference, the number of salaried taxpayers has increased from 1.70 crore for AY 2014-15 to 2.33 crore for AY 2017-18 (up by 37%). The average income declared by the salaried taxpayers has gone up by 19% from Rs.5.76 lakh to Rs.6.84 lakh.
- During the same period, there has also been a growth of 19% in the number of non-salaried individual taxpayers from 1.95 crore to 2.33 crore and the average non-salary income declared has increased by 27% from Rs. 4.11 lakh in AY 2014-15 to Rs. 5.23 lakh in AY 2017-18.
- Sushil Chandra is the Present Chairman of CBDT.
5. Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services (IL&FS), which is in the midst of evaluating options to minimise further debt defaults, has appointed advisers to assist the recently appointed board in monetising assets and preparing a resolution plan.
- Arpwood Capital and JM Financial Consultants will act as financial and transaction advisers to the group. as well as undertake valuations across divestments and monetisation
- Alvarez & Marsal has been appointed as restructuring advisers. It will assist the board in maintaining strict controls on and managing liquidity on a daytoday basis while also making a resolution plan and managing all the stakeholders at the time of implementation of the resolution plan.
- The company — along with its 348 subsidiaries — is facing a liquidity crisis with debts totalling almost ₹90,000 crore
6. ZEE Entertainment Enterprises Ltd. (ZEE) has secured a United States (U.S.) patent on a technology platform built on technologies such as 3D audio, augmented reality (AR), virtual reality (VR), digital scent, holograms and touch.
- The company aims to offer an immersive experience to the viewers, satisfying all the five senses.
- The platform developed at its ZEE Media Lab in the Silicon Valley will enable the viewers to touch, feel, smell and experience products, with a seamless transaction (ecommerce) ecosystem.
- Chairman of ZEE - Subhash Chandra
7. Infosys and Finnish firm, Pöyry in AI alliance
- They released a new datadriven framework for Artificial Intelligence that overcomes complex and expensive life cycle management challenges faced by industry, utilities and infrastructure organisations across operational technology systems.
- Krti 4.0 Artificial Intelligence Framework for Operation Excellence applies AI, cognitive/machine learning and machinetomachine capabilities in an industrial environment, Poyry said.
- Krti 4.0’s open and intuitive machine to machine interface provides for seamlessly connecting with different operational technology systems for collecting data.
8. Life insurer PNB Metlife has unveiled an Artificial Intelligence (AI)powered customer service app ‘Khushi’
- The app is designed to be a one stop shop providing insurance related information, anytime, anywhere, such as policy features, premium due details besides providing fund value and portfolio details.
- It has the ability to understand customer intent and provide tailored responses
9. Tejas wins ₹111cr. order for Navy’s network
- Tejas Networks, a maker of networking products, has received an ₹111 crore purchase order from Sterlite Technologies to implement Indian Navy’s countrywide next generation digital communications network.
- Tejas Networks would supply its terabit capacity DWDM systems and highperformance layer 3 multigigabit ethernet switches for Navy’s pan India network.
10. Tea Board of India is planning to launch an app aimed at guiding small growers, whose share in total tea production is increasing. The proposed name of the app is Chai Sahay (tea help) .
11. Mphasis, a Bengaluru based provider of cloud and cognitive services, announced a partnership with BAE Systems to set up a centre of excellence for fraud detection and prevention solution.
- The solution called NetReveal, enables customers to accelerate the adoption of the next generation solutions in financial crime prevention and detection functions.
12. NASA scientists have devised a new set of 21 modern gamma ray constellations and named them after fictional characters such as the Hulk and Godzilla.
- The constellations, constructed through its gamma ray telescope, were devised to celebrate the completion of 10 years of operations of the Fermi Gamma ray Space Telescope
13. The eleventh session of India – Czech Republic Joint Commission on Economic Cooperation (JCEC) was held on 22nd – 23rd October 2018 at Prague
- The Indian delegation was led by Minister of State for Commerce & Industry, Consumer Affairs and Food & Public Distribution, C. R. Chaudhary.
- The deliberations were marked with the mutual desire to further expand and strengthen relations between the two countries in the economic field.
- Czech Republic Capital - Prague, Currency: Czech koruna
14. “Harit Diwali-Swasth Diwali” campaign launched by Ministry of Environment to curb air pollution.
- The “Harit Diwali-Swasth Diwali” campaign is now merged with “Green Good Deed” movement that has been initiated as a social mobilization for conservation and protection of environment.
Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change: Dr. Harsh Vardhan
15. The 12th Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) summit was held in Brussels, Belgium. It was chaired by European Council President Donald Tusk, themed on 'Global partners for global challenges’.
- The summit was attended by the heads of 51 European and Asian countries, representatives of European Union and Secretary General of Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu represented India.
16. India has emerged as the second lowest among 34 countries providing retirement income systems with good benefits according to a study according to the Melbourne Mercer Global Pension Index.
17. The Commonwealth Games and Asian Games gold medallist, Indian wrestler, Bajrang Punia wins silver at World wrestling championships
World Wrestling Championship is being held in Budapest, Hungary.
18. M.R. Lalith Babu won the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation Open international chess championship held in Xingtai Hebei, China.
Awards and Recognition
19. Eminent jurist Fali S. Nariman was awarded 19th Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award for Excellence in Public Administration.
20. Japanese-born Marine biologist Osamu Shimomura (90), who won the Nobel Prize in chemistry, has died.
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express
Important Questions for BANK/SSC/UPSC and other government exams:
1. With which country did India sign its first internal security cooperation agreement recently?
2. Who is the Foreign Secretary of India?
a. Ajit Doval
b. Subhash Chandra
c. Vijay Kumar Singh
3. In which country the world's longest sea crossing bridge is situated at
4. What is the direct tax-GDP ratio of FY 2017-18?
a. 6.78 %
c. 6 %
d. 7.75 %
5. Which company launched the Artificial Intelligence (AI)powered customer service app ‘Khushi’?
b. PNB Metlife
c. Kotak Mahindra
1. a. China
2. d.Vijay Gokhale
3. a. China
4. b. 5.98%
5. b. PNB Metlife