Current Affairs of 28th and 29th October
Neelakshi Das, Published On:29-Oct-2018
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi on a two day official visit to Japan on 28-29 October 2018 to attend the 13th India-Japan annual summit
- Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, addressed the ‘Make in India: India-Japan partnership in Africa and digital partnership’ seminar, in Tokyo.
- He interacted with the Indian Community in Tokyo
- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe hosted the Indian PM.
- The Prime Ministers visited the FANUC industrial facility, which is one of the largest makers of industrial robots in the world, in Yamanashi.
- Japan Capital: Tokyo, Currency: Japanese yen
2. A seminar, titled “Gandhian Thoughts and Sanitation” was organized by the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation (MDWS) in Wardha district of Maharashtra.
- Drinking Water and Sanitation minister: Uma Bharati
3. Union Minister for Food Processing Industries Smt Harsimrat Kaur Badal inaugurated the first Mega Food Park in Gujarat, Gujarat Agro Infrastructure Mega Food Park Pvt. Ltd is located at Village Shah and Vasravi, Taluka Mangrol, District Surat.
4. The Union Minister for Shipping, Road Transport & Highways, Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation Shri Nitin Gadkari and Kerala Chief Minister Shri Pinarayi Vijayan will lay the foundation for India’s largest Dry Dock at Cochin Shipyard in Kerala
- The Dry Dock will give an impetus to “Make in India” initiative under Sagarmala and raise India’s share in global shipbuilding to 2 percent.
- Cochin Shipyard will be able to build specialized and technologically advanced large vessels like LNG Carriers, drill ships, jack up rigs, large dredgers, aircraft carriers for Indian Navy and high end research vessels. It will also help make Cochin a one stop maritime hub for all repair needs in South East Asia.
- The project is expected to be completed by May 2021 and generate employment opportunities for about 2000 people.
- Shri Gadkari will also lay the foundation stone for three National Highways projects in Kerala, costing Rs 1557 Crore at an event in Eranholi in Thalassery in Kannur district.
5. Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) will transport container cargo belonging to the food and beverage giant PepsiCo (India) from Kolkata to Varanasi on river Ganga (National Waterway-1) on 30th October.
- This would be the India’s first container movement on inland vessel post-independence, and a milestone moment in the history of India’s IWT sector.
- PepsiCo (India) will move 16 containers – equivalent to 16 truckloads- filled with food and snacks in the vessel MV RN Tagore which will reach Varanasi in 9-10 days.
6. In its first Public Private Partnership IWAI to hand over Its Kolkata Terminals to a private company, M/s Summit Alliance Port East Gateway (India) Pvt Ltd. (SAPEL) on supply, operate , maintain (SOM)model.
- Shipping Secretary Shri Gopal Krishna
- The Project is Expected to tap The huge potential of Nepal bound containerised cargo on National Waterways -1
7. The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has waived the processing fee of ₹50,000 for temporary uplinking and downlinking of devotional TV channels
- Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore is the Minister of State of Information and Broadcasting
8. Andhra Pradesh has achieved the number one rank in the country with an average growth of 10.5% during the last four years
- According to the State Planning Department, the average growth in the country stood at 7.3% during the last four years
- Telangana has slipped to the second place, Maharashtra is ranked sixth. Punjab is placed 14th and Karnataka third.
9. Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan will launch Mahila Mall, the first mall in the country with an all women crew, on November 14.
10. Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport is set to be the first airport in the country to commence commercial use of TaxiBots — semi-robotic tow trucks — to help airlines reduce use of air turbine fuel during taxiing.
- SpiceJet and Jet Airways will carry out a live test with these tow trucks on Monday, following which the aviation regulator DGCA will grant approval for their use.
Appointments and Resignation
11. Sanjay Kumar Mishra appointed interim Director of the Enforcement Directorate
- He succeeded Karnal Singh.
Books and Authors
12. The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu released the book ‘Prominent Sikhs of India’, authored by Dr. Prabhleen Singh
- The Book highlights the achievements of 50 living Sikh legends from various walks of life and it is a fitting tribute to the founder of Sikhism Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji.
13. The Paradoxical Prime Minister is a book on Prime Minister, Narendra Modi by Congress leader Shashi Tharoor
14. Shades of Truth by Kapil Sibal, Former HRD Minister
15. Chris Broad is the second member of the ICC Elite Panel of Match Referees to reach 300 ODIs the first being Ranjan Madugalle
16. Roger Federer won his 99th career ATP Tour title defeating qualifier Marius Copil in the Swiss Indoors final.
17. Spanish rider Maverick Vinales secured his first title of the season after he emerged victorious at the Australian MotoGP
18. Former Delhi chief minister Madan Lal Khurana passed on 27th October after a prolonged illness.
- He was the Chief Minister of Delhi from 1993 to 1996.
- He also served as Governor of Rajasthan in 2004.
- He was the Union Minister of Parliamentary affairs and Tourism in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government.
- He was a member of Rashtriya Swayansevak Sangh and Bharatiya Janata Party.
19. Veteran sports journalist M.N. Shome passed away here recently at 90
- He wrote for various publications and was associated with the Indian Olympic Association and the Jawaharlal Nehru Hockey Trust as media consultant for a long time.
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information bureau website