Current Affairs of 30th October
Neelakshi Das, Published On:30-Oct-2018
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi attended the 13th India-Japan annual summit on his two day official visit to Japan on 28-29 October 2018.
- India-Japan Development Cooperation in the Indo-Pacific, including Africa by enhancing connectivity through quality infrastructure and capacity building.
- MOU between NEXI and ECGC, which is expected to promote development of concrete India-Japan business projects in the region.
- India-Japan Co-operation in Act East Forum, Economic and ODA Cooperation, railways, "Make in India”, Skill Development, Digital Partnership, Agriculture, Food Processing, Food Safety, Forestry, and Fisheries, Security and Defence, Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), Science & Technology and Academics, and Promotion of Japanese Language Education in India.
- India and Japan signed various MOUs in the fields of Defence, Digital and New Technologies, Healthcare and Wellness, Food Value Chain and Agriculture Areas, Economic, Postal, S&T, Academic Exchanges and Environment, Sports, Exchange of Notes of Loan Agreements and G2B/B2B Agreements
- India, Japan sign $75 billion currency swap agreement
- Japan Capital: Tokyo, Currency: Japanese yen
2. Japan joined the International Solar Alliance (ISA) submitting the instrument of ratification on 29th October 2018.
- As of now there are 70 countries that have signed the ISA Framework Agreement (ISA FA) and 47 countries that have ratified it.
- Japan will be the 71st country to sign and 48th country to ratify the ISA FA.
- Headquarters: Gwal Pahari, Gurugram, Haryana, India
- Head: H.E. Upendra Tripathy
3. Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) in association with Cyber Peace Foundation and Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute (VJTI) organised a conference on Cyber Security – Challenges and Innovations at DRDO Bhawan ,New Delhi on 29th October 2018. It was inaugurated by NITI Aayog member, Dr. V K Saraswat.
- Chairman of DRDO- G Satheesh Reddy
4. The Union Minister of State for Home , Shri Hansraj Gangaram Ahir inaugurated the two-day conference on “CCTNS--Good practices and Success Stories” organised by National Crime Record Bureau (NCRB), in New Delhi on 29th October 2018.
- Full form of CCTNS- Crime and Criminal Tracking Network & Systems
5. Shri Hardeep S Puri, Minister of State (I/C) for Housing and Urban Affairs has stated that more than 664 kms of Metro Rail projects in 15 cities are presently under various stages of implementation, while more than 515 kms of Metro Line are already operational in India during an interaction with the Members of the Consultative Committee attached to the Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs
6. CSIR develops Less Polluting Firecrackers named – safe water releaser (SWAS), safe minimal aluminium (SAFAL) and safe thermite cracker (STAR)
- These crackers are 15-20 % cheaper than conventional ones
- NEERI team involved in the project has 80 % women scientists
- E-crackers also being developed with products like E-Ladi, E-Anar, E-cracker show
- For the first time an Emission Testing Facility established in India for sound and emission testing of crackers.
- Dr Harsh Vardhan- Union Minister for Science & Technology, Earth Sciences, Environment, Forest & Climate Change
7. The 24th India-Italy Technology Summit was jointly inaugurated by Union Minister for Science & Technology, Earth Sciences, Environment, Forest & Climate Change Dr. Harsh Vardhan and Italian Deputy Minister for Economic Development, Dr. Michele Geraci, in New Delhi on 29th October 2018.
- “From Hampi to Pompeii” catch phrase for collaboration on restoration and preservation of cultural heritage.
- Italian PM Giuseppe Conte to attend the summit.
- Italy Capital: Rome , Currency: Euro
- Chairman of CII MSME Council: Shri Shreekant Somany
8. Shri Mansukh Mandaviya, Minister of State for Shipping, Road Transport & Highways, Chemical & Fertilizer has said that the number of seafarers in India has seen an unprecedented growth of 42.3% due to various policy level changes brought in by the Government in the last four years.
- India now provides 9.35% of the global seafarers and ranks 3rd in the list of the largest seafarer supplying nations in the world.
9. Twelve Projects Worth Rs 929 Crore Approved Under Namami Gange
- Two Sewage Treatment Plants (STPs) Projects in Delhi at Coronation Pillar and Chattarpur Given Green Signal
10. Integral Coach Factory (ICF) rolls out Train 18, the NextGen Shatabdi
- It has a cone shaped frontage, similar to a bullet train. The new train comes fitted with amenities on a par with the best in the world — from onboard WiFi to GPSbased passenger information system, ‘touchfree’ biovacuum toilets, LED lighting, mobile charging points, and a climate control system that will adjust the temperature according to occupancy and the weather.
- 80% of the design, technology and manufacture of Train 18, a predecessor to ‘Train 20’, is Indian
- Indian Railway Board Chairman Ashwani Lohani
11. The Odisha government launched the muchawaited Early Warning Dissemination System(EWDS), the first of its kind technology in India, to simultaneously warn coastal communities and fisherfolk about impending cyclone and tsunami through siren towers.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Chief minister: Naveen Patnaik
12. India will host Pakistan and representatives of seven member countries that are part of the China led Shanghai Cooperation Organisation on handling urban disaster. The first phase of the meeting will be held from November 1 to 2 at Delhi
- SCO Headquarters: Beijing, China
- Secretary General: Rashid Alimov
- Members: Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, India and Pakistan
13. Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to unveil Sardar Patel’s statue, the world’s largest, on his birth anniversary on October 31.
- The Statue of Unity is built by engineering and infrastructure major L&T on the river Narmada in South Gujarat
- The statue is made up of 1,700 tonnes of bronze, 1,850 tonnes of bronze cladding, 70,000 metric tonnes of cement and 24,500 metric tonnes of steel.
- Two high speed elevators inside can take tourists up to the statue’s chest from where around 200 visitors can view the Narmada river and the Sardar Sarovar dam over it.
14. The Congress has unveiled a website, ‘Jan Awaz’, or ‘Your Voice’, to crowdsource inputs for the party’s manifesto for the forthcoming Lok Sabha election.
15. Jair Bolsonaro elected President of Brazil
- Capital: Brasília
- Currency: Brazilian real
Books and Authors
16. The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu released the Book ‘Yoga and Mindfulness’ authored by well known Yoga exponent, Ms. Mansi Gulati.
June 21 is International Yoga Day
17. Minister of Railways and Coal, Shri Piyush Goyal released a Book on “Building the Great Himalayan Railway - The Story of USBRL”
- The Book covers the journey and challenges of construction of Udhampur-Srinagar- Baramullah rail link project which is a national project, in a beautiful and interesting pictographic format.
18. Asian Champions Trophy shared by India and pakistan, after the final was abandoned due to bad weather conditions in Muscat
Source: The Hindu, The Economic Times, The Indian Express, Press Information bureau website